Hi, new fish guy requesting a check on what I'm doing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not familiar with that filter, but as for canisters in general, they allow for less equipment in the tank and better control of the output (compared to HOB filters).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As far as oxygen, CO2 or other water chemistry, is there an advantage? Also I don't want to blow my plants away.... if the flow is too high or something.... Lastly are they more quiet than the ones that hang off the back?

Thanks again for the help :)

Canisters for the most part are quieter than HOB filters. Less gass off of CO2, directional flow, use of a spray bar, larger media capacity, less slightly. Some canisters offer flow control. I mentioned less equipment in the tank; you can use in-line heaters, in-line CO2 reactors and in-line diffusers. You can get real fancy with lily pipes which are a good match for rimless tanks.

I would feed lightly just to help possibly prevent large spikes, just in case you are mostly cycled if you had enough media and not get any more fish. Test and watch.

Thanks. I ordered an Eheim 2211 from Amazon.

Day #5:
Ammonia shows 0 on the test strips. With the API liquid test it's either 0 or .25, it's hard to tell.
Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0

All the fish seem fine other than the Pencilfish are still acting timid and their color is a bit washed out. The poor guys, when I got them home yesterday they were completely white - like albino white. So white I thought for a moment that I had the wrong fish. Today they're 75% back to normal though, mostly still hiding in the corner.

Added four dwarf sag plants....

I decided I don't like so much pennywort because mostly what I see in the aquarium is stringy stems and they cause a lot of shade. I ordered rotalla online to replace it...

In news from the other tank (5.5 gal, male betta, 5 ghost shrimp, mystery snail, 2 something-sword plants, one red wendtii), the plants have exploded since I started dosing CO2 five days ago. When I bought the betta there was a little sprig of some plant in the cup. Over the past 8 months it's gone from one inch to maybe three. Over the past five days it's added a full inch and turned bright green :)

Also I think there's less algae in there on the plant leaves. Does CO2 reduce algae?

One more question if anyone has a moment. I have just the basic aqueon light fixture with an upgraded bulb. It doesn't have any reflectors inside though... Is it worth buying one with those? And what about ones with two bulbs... Thoughts?

You can easily make your own reflectors. I've read if people lining it with aluminum foil :)

And co2 does help with algae. It's kinda complex and don't know the best way to describe it but hopefully someone can jump in and explain how/why

I looooove dwarf sag. One of my favorites

PM water testing update, changed 20% of the water. Ammonia, nit/nit are all still at zero.

I'm feeding all the fish regular amounts now. I got some New Life Spectrum small fish food and fed it to them today for the first time... They all devoured it. The pencilfish remain timid though and aren't coming out for feedings yet. They're starting to forage wound on leaves and things, I hope that's enough food for them :ermm:

Sometimes fish are skittish for a while. Especially if they went from a small holding tank to a bigger display. It would be like us moving from a studio apartment to a mansion :)

Day #6 of cycling, all readings are at zero. The fish all look healthy and the plants are growing fast, especially the dwarf baby tears.

One new issue though, there's white cottony fungus growing on my driftwood now. I'd say it's coating about 1/3 of it. The fish don't seem bothered by it. I boiled the driftwood thoroughly before using it... It's store-bought and supposedly pre-cured. Any advice? :(

Day #6 of cycling, all readings are at zero. The fish all look healthy and the plants are growing fast, especially the dwarf baby tears.

One new issue though, there's white cottony fungus growing on my driftwood now. I'd say it's coating about 1/3 of it. The fish don't seem bothered by it. I boiled the driftwood thoroughly before using it... It's store-bought and supposedly pre-cured. Any advice? :(

About the growth on the DW, you either leave it or take it out and give it another boil. It is an opportunistic fungus that will eventually die out once it's food source (something in the DW) becomes depleted. There are some fish and inverts that will graze on it.

You could pick up a couple mystery snails. Mine ate up all the gelatinous gunk off of my last spiderwood. Pond snails are really good too but most people won't WANT to add those, lol.

You could pick up a couple mystery snails. Mine ate up all the gelatinous gunk off of my last spiderwood. Pond snails are really good too but most people won't WANT to add those, lol.

Yeah I just moved my mystery snail over from my other tank. We'll see if he feels like eating it. :)

Day #8 of cycling, all readings at zero still. I think I'm going to dose Stability for two more days with no water changes and see how it goes.

The moss is starting to look like it's collecting some algae so I'll probably get some red cherry shrimp maybe next week and see how it goes. Maybe they'll eat the fungus too.

Lastly I'm worried about the pencilfish. They don't come out to eat during feedings like the other fish. Mostly they hang back and just want to pick through the plants and gravel. I hope they're finding food. :(

I was looking at AqAdvisor for tips on bioload.... How accurate is that?

I don't always agree with aqadvisor but it does a pretty good job. But remember just because a fish is "suppose to be" one way doesn't always mean it is. For example, bettas have been recommended on their own. This is not the case for al bettas tho. Some do great in community. It really depends on your fish and tank conditions.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Thanks.

So next question. I got the Eheim 2011 cannister filter.... Then read that it needs to be positioned below the tank. Unfortunately I can't do that because it's on a kitchen counter.

I can put it next to it though, no problem. Does anyone know if it will still work? If it's clearly not going to work I don't want to run water through an item I will want to return. Thanks.

Most folks do run run them below the tank. I think it is recommended by the manufacturer so that it can be properly primed. In other words, the trapped air has the opportunity to be vented from the canister. Running it next to the tank may may this difficult (but not impossible).
I have not owned a canister filter in a long while so i would wait for others more experienced with them to chime in.

I'll try the side-thing with the 2211.

Ugh that fungus slime on the driftwood is terrible. Still going strong... The entire piece of wood looks like it's coated in thick mucous. How long does it take to burn out?

Is it too much to ask for pictures for more information to help you out?

My snails cleaned it up in a couple days. For a ~12"x 10"
12G Edge
60074-albums13090-picture64837.jpg

Hmm, my mystery snail seems to be running around doing other things. Although maybe he's going after it while I'm not watching. He's completely nocturnal. When I manually remove the fungus it seems to regrow completely in a day or two though, so I'm not sure how snails could really remove it.

Back
Top Bottom