High ammonia. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A dose of slimecoat enhancing Seachem Prime in the water wouldnt hurt either.
Definitely add some B.B.

The reason i brought up the age of the tests us that when they go bad the Nitrates test will show less than there is and the Ammonia will show more than there is.
Whats yer exp. Date or lot# on em?

6.4 isn't really super low. You should have easily grown bacteria by now....Add some bacteria starter.

Ph went down to 6.0 ammonia still high as hell and nitrates are 0. This is tank water tested just now. IMG_1480345760.471497.jpg

Many use some crushed coral placed in a bag and hidden it in the tank or filter.
It will properly raise the ph and gh...

Are you doing the Nitrate test correctly, I was doing it wrong for the longest time, you have to shake bottle #2 vigorously for 30 seconds (feels like your arms going to fall off) , I shake Mine for a min just to be certain, add 10 drops from bottle one, cap shake lightly, add 10 drops from (well shaken bottle 2) cap shake for 1 min let sit for 5 min

Yes super low ph can crash a tank get some crushed coral and add it to the filter or in the tank like coralbandit said

Yes I am doing the nitrate test correctly I shake it.

I just noticed in the picture of your tank you have glass lids....
Do you keep them closed and are they tight? If they are too tight it may be a problem...
I would open one or at least get a good crack so air can get in and out of hood.
Often in marine aquariums [ I know you are fresh and I am reaching...] a glass lid will not allow proper off gassing of co2 and thus drives the pH down uncontrollably.
This is why marine tanks don't use glass lids. They use screen to keep the jumpers in.

It is a glass lid and the only open part is back by the filter from where I had to cut the plastic to fit the filter. It's not tight necessarily but it fits.

If your pH is still low it could be a problem. Put a bag of crushed coral into the filter compartment and it will slowly rise to normal limits. I keep coral in all my tanks. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom