High ammonia level. HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It isn't the tubes. I think they have a sensor on the motor. Water has to be to that point before it will even pump. I meant horrible for the fish. It sounds like basically a flesh eating disease for us.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi! ok the first thing you should probably do is a huge water change! If that doesn't help along with other natural things, THEN use chemicals.

Hi! ok the first thing you should probably do is a huge water change! If that doesn't help along with other natural things, THEN use chemicals.

I got it down and out with a 60% (well two 30s in a day). I don't know if people count it as all the same or not. Anyway, it got it cleared out. Thanks!!! :D

You've gotten a lot of great advice. In case nobody mentioned it, you want your filter cartridge to get dark and nasty looking. Should start smelling a little swampy too. Shake it off in the bucket of aquarium water like they said but keep putting it back in.

I'm finding that in my small filter, while I can't fit 2 cartridges I can fit am extra square of filter media. I buy pads meant for canister filters and cut them down, rubber band them and whatnot. Using a water polishing pad behind my filter cartridge makes my water super clear even though the charcoal is likely work out so to speak. And charcoal that's all work out is super populated by bacteria, so you want to keep it in there!

I've read that instead if cartridges people also just put in wadded up filter floss (or poly fill that isn't treated for flame resistNce). The more I experiment with my filter the more I realize I can't really mess anything up as long as I don't throw away my bacteria colonies!

Just caught up ... I'm sorry I haven't read everything but just a few thoughts ...

I was reluctant about salt too but in my case it's what has kept my smaller aquarium healthy. I also had to get a heater with a thermostat, and learned a lot about water hardness and keeping pH stable.

If it's not too late, I've also heard of putting your bacteria populated filter in the quarantine tank and treating your main tank with water, to keep your bacteria and your fish healthy.

Hope everyone recovers!

I got it down and out with a 60% (well two 30s in a day). I don't know if people count it as all the same or not. Anyway, it got it cleared out. Thanks!!! :D

No problem! my tank had a big ammonia problem so i did a giant water change and it helped so much! I honestly don't like using chemicals because it is fixable without them, but i mean for diseases i totally understand

You've gotten a lot of great advice. In case nobody mentioned it, you want your filter cartridge to get dark and nasty looking. Should start smelling a little swampy too. Shake it off in the bucket of aquarium water like they said but keep putting it back in.

I'm finding that in my small filter, while I can't fit 2 cartridges I can fit am extra square of filter media. I buy pads meant for canister filters and cut them down, rubber band them and whatnot. Using a water polishing pad behind my filter cartridge makes my water super clear even though the charcoal is likely work out so to speak. And charcoal that's all work out is super populated by bacteria, so you want to keep it in there!

I've read that instead if cartridges people also just put in wadded up filter floss (or poly fill that isn't treated for flame resistNce). The more I experiment with my filter the more I realize I can't really mess anything up as long as I don't throw away my bacteria colonies!
Wow I totally forgot LOL good info!

No problem! my tank had a big ammonia problem so i did a giant water change and it helped so much! I honestly don't like using chemicals because it is fixable without them, but i mean for diseases i totally understand

I think my BB is building nicely because my ammonia is taking about 4 days now to reach 1.0 rather than 2 days. Going to do a 35% tonight and then another tomorrow. I was going to get medicine and then everyone cleared up. Dorothy's fuzz went away and she looks perfect. So I am happy that whatever it was, went away on its own.

Back
Top Bottom