High ammonia levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robbyno22

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm new to all of this, and didn't know about cycling a tank until it was too late :( I'm now doing a fish-in cycle, but my ammonia levels are still above 1.0. I now have nitrites (about .5), and am starting to get nitrates, but the ammonia is still high. I've been doing 2 50% wc's daily using aqueon conditioner. I have a plant in the tank that is starting to turn yellow, so I bought food for it. I'm wondering now if that is what is causing my ammonia levels to stay so high.

Should I remove the plant until I can get it healthy again, or should I just leave it? Currently, I have 5 neon tetras, 2 frogs, and 1 snail in the tank. It is a 13 gallon tank.

This was a Christmas gift for my 2 year old from her grandparents, and I've already put more $ into it then I have, so any free or inexpensive ideas would really be appreciated!

Also, what is lfs?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

lfs = local fish store

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia? If your tap water is fine I would suggest that you immediately do 3 more 50% water changes (wait an hour in between) to get your ammonia level below .25 ppm. Then, continue water changes as needed to keep ammonia and nitrites as low as possible.

I wouldn't bother with adding any plant supplements until you're cycled.

I tested the tap water, and it was at .25

How long have you had the plant? and what kind? Sometimes when you put a new plant in the tank it will turn yellow or look like it is dying but it's not. It's just the plant getting used to the tank. Mine did that when I first put them in my 10 gallon but my tank was cycled completely. I also notice they like to do it when I trim the plants as well.

I've had the plant since the 27th. It's a broad leaf plant, but I don't know what it's called, but I'll look it up :). After the 2nd WC today, my ammonia was down to .5, and the nitrites were down to .25! I also put in some gravel from an old tank, so hopefully we're almost done! Thank you for all your input!

I've had the plant since the 27th. It's a broad leaf plant, but I don't know what it's called, but I'll look it up :). After the 2nd WC today, my ammonia was down to .5, and the nitrites were down to .25! I also put in some gravel from an old tank, so hopefully we're almost done! Thank you for all your input!

I know the last thing you want to hear is "more water changes", but you should try to get the ammonia level even lower. After it tested at .5, I would have immediately done another 50% change, followed by another one an hour later or at least first thing the next morning.

Thank you. I just checked, and the ammonia is still down, but the nitrites jumped up. I'm going to do a 50% and check again. My 8 Mo old screams the entire time I do a water change, so I'll do as many as I can, lol!

My ammonia is down to less than .25, which is lower than my tap water. Nitrites were up to 2.0 this am, but I was able to get them below .5, and nitrates were at 5!

Sat I went and bought some quick start because my 2 kids were making it impossible to keep up with 2 50% WC's per day. It had a $ back guarantee, so I figured wth...
Sat after my am WC, I was at:
Amm .25 ppm
Nitrites .5 ppm
Nitrates <5 ppm

Sat pm added the quick start.
Sun am tested
Amm .25 ppm
Nitrites .25 ppm
Nitrates 5 ppm

Did a 50% WC and added another 10mls quick start.

Mon am water test
Amm 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5ppm

Does this mean I'm cycled? How long should I wait before adding another plant? I'm gonna wait a few weeks still to add more fish, as we will be moving in a few weeks.

I stated in my prev post that my amm and nitrites were at 0, and my nitrates were at 5. Just wondering if I'm complete, or if they can spike again before the end of the cycle

I stated in my prev post that my amm and nitrites were at 0, and my nitrates were at 5. Just wondering if I'm complete, or if they can spike again before the end of the cycle

Sorry, I'm follow so much threads that I don't take time to read everything.

They'll probably don't show up again if you don't add any bioload to the tank. But as your tank doesn't seems mature, I would check it back in 2-3 days, depending on the bioload you already have.

If ammonia show > 0.5ppm, 50%WC. If nitrites >2ppm, 50%WC.

Then I'll take another test in 1 week. If everything stay low, then I would say it's cycled.

I don't know why quick start gets such a bad rap here but if you got a live bottle, you are seeing a completed cycle. I'd continue periodic testing but not change any water until the nitrates hit 20 or the ammonia/nitrites reappear (very unlikely). Basically, it's a bottle of starter bacteria and if it is fresh and was properly cared for, it's like magic. I started with a freshly used filter which is basically the same thing.. Instant gratification is nice.

Back
Top Bottom