High ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ywagner

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have adequate filtration, and my tank is cycled, but for some reason my ammonia is rising. I believe it might be because of the sudden addition of aka ammonia, but I don't know if it will disappear over time and water changes or if I should add new bacteria colony?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well I cycled my tank a really long time ago, like 6-7 years. My ammonia reads around .25 ppm, and I'm pretty sure it's just from the over addition of new fish, do you know if this will just correct itself, or if I should take more action than a water change

What size tank and how many fish did you add?

I would suspect it's the addition of new fish and should stabilize with a few PWC. But I am a newbie.

Whenever I add new fish, I always assume I am going to need to do a few small PWC on top of my normal routine.

It's a 20 gal, and I have a pike cichlid and some julidochromis and giant danios to give food competition to pike (he was having trouble eating), I hope it will balance out, and good to know!

Yeah, it's definitely the new addition of fish. The problem will correct itself over a few weeks but just be sure to keep the ammonia and nitrite level below 0.25ppm with water changes.

The big problem with your tank atm is that it's overstocked. The fish you chose to go in there need a larger tank than a 20g is able to provide. It might be best to either get a new tank or rehome them as it won't be a suitable home for them as they grow.

Yeah, it's definitely the new addition of fish. The problem will correct itself over a few weeks but just be sure to keep the ammonia and nitrite level below 0.25ppm with water changes.

The big problem with your tank atm is that it's overstocked. The fish you chose to go in there need a larger tank than a 20g is able to provide. It might be best to either get a new tank or rehome them as it won't be a suitable home for them as they grow.

Mebbid, how quickly would you expect the fish to outgrow this tank? Just for curiosities sake. I am still learning.

Mebbid, how quickly would you expect the fish to outgrow this tank? Just for curiosities sake. I am still learning.

It depends, mostly on how big they are now. Probably around 6 months of age they would be too big for it. a 20g is really a tiny tank, especially because most of them are the "tall" version cutting down on the footprint of the tank even more. You could look into getting a used 55g, they can commonly be bought for around $100 off of craigslist with a stand.

Ya well I am going to have to move the pike anyways cause he'll get too aggressive, but the filter should be more than adequate for sustaining these fish

And btw, it won't be a couple of months cause those Julis grow super slow

Back
Top Bottom