high nitrite level?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pitbull

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello today i done a test to see my levels. My ammonia level was fine (4ppm) but my nitrites have been high for quite a while and when i tested them today they were 5ppm. I'm in my 7th day in cycling and I wanted to know is this normal or do I need to do something to lower them.
Would be good if I could have an answer asap really thanks :)

What's your nitrate level? It's normal that you'll have nitrite spike until you have the bacteria that converts them to nitrate then it'll go down.

7th day of cycling and you already have nitrates? Did you seed this tank?

That is good. When did you last check your nitrite level? What was it? And how many days did it take for nitrite to go down to 5ppm? Are you adding pure ammonia to keep it around 4ppm or are using shrimp?

I checked my nitrite level about half an hour ago, its been 5ppm all the time i have checked it. I am adding pure ammonia

Nitrite was 5ppm the whole time? I thought you said it was higher and when you last checked it it went down to 5ppm. Just be patient. I don't think nitrite or nitrate levels are too high to stall the cycle.

"my nitrites have been high for quite a while and when i tested them today they were 5ppm" - i said that it was a bit confusing sorry i ment they have stayed 5ppm. I hope it doesnt stall :(

pitbull said:
"my nitrites have been high for quite a while and when i tested them today they were 5ppm" - i said that it was a bit confusing sorry i ment they have stayed 5ppm. I hope it doesnt stall :(

I'd give it a few more days. If nitrite stays the same I'd do a 25-30% PWC. Then adjust the ammonia level back to 4ppm.

Back
Top Bottom