High pH in cycling Betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copplanes

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello fellow aquarists,
i'm in the first steps of cycling my 10gal. All my tests are coming back looking great, but my pH is pretty high. I live in Arizona and the water is very hard here. I've heard that a consistent pH is best even if not ideal, and that products that balance pH can be harmful for your fish. Any advice on lowering pH? Or is it ok? Betta seems okay but has been struggling with fin rot.
Thanks!IMG_1480375224.866874.jpg

You can try to add Indian Almond leaves, (alternatively you can try Oak leaves or hard wood tree leaves if they have never been treated with any sprayed on ferts or chemicals too) and add some driftwood into the tank and the tannins (shows as colored water) can help the fish too. It is good for the fish on their fins.

You can also use some RO/DI water, its specially filtered and is available at many SW lfs which carry (not salted) water for around .50-.60 per gallon.

You could even cut the tap water 25%. Check and see. But do it gradually over several pwc 10% then after a few pwc, 20%, etc.

He will likely get used to it but he may also be very stressed from changes and water conditions, infection.

The main thing is to get your tank / filter cycled. You have a filter???

Most importantly, keep the water very clean which will help him over come the fin rot. You can also add some Epsom Salts to the water (actually magnesium sulfate). No additives in it. Again this is done somewhat gradually.

In some cases medication may be needed.

Using pH changing chemicals is a tricky and can be a risky task, best done by someone who is experienced and has plenty of time for testing and monitoring water conditions very routinely. And it's just plain inconvenient! Ideally the fish environment can be made more suitable as mentioned above. Then after the tank parameters are stable, smaller more frequent pwc as to not remove too many tannins at one time, depending on the tanks' needs.

You can try to add Indian Almond leaves, (alternatively you can try Oak leaves or hard wood tree leaves if they have never been treated with any sprayed on ferts or chemicals too) and add some driftwood into the tank and the tannins (shows as colored water) can help the fish too. It is good for the fish on their fins.

You can also use some RO/DI water, its specially filtered and is available at many SW lfs which carry (not salted) water for around .50-.60 per gallon.

You could even cut the tap water 25%. Check and see. But do it gradually over several pwc 10% then after a few pwc, 20%, etc.

He will likely get used to it but he may also be very stressed from changes and water conditions, infection.

The main thing is to get your tank / filter cycled. You have a filter???

Most importantly, keep the water very clean which will help him over come the fin rot. You can also add some Epsom Salts to the water (actually magnesium sulfate). No additives in it. Again this is done somewhat gradually.

In some cases medication may be needed.

Using pH changing chemicals is a tricky and can be a risky task, best done by someone who is experienced and has plenty of time for testing and monitoring water conditions very routinely. And it's just plain inconvenient! Ideally the fish environment can be made more suitable as mentioned above. Then after the tank parameters are stable, smaller more frequent pwc as to not remove too many tannins at one time, depending on the tanks' needs.

thanks for the reply! i looked up driftwood, wasn't sure if i found the right thing or not. i'm very skeptical to add anything to the tank, as my fish is pretty unwell and the tank itself is mid cycle. i'm just about stumped as to what i can do to level out the pH without adding more stress to my betta. is this pH tolerable for him for now? i will probably work on cutting his water changing water with pet store pH controlled water once the cycling is finished

thanks for the reply! i looked up driftwood, wasn't sure if i found the right thing or not. i'm very skeptical to add anything to the tank, as my fish is pretty unwell and the tank itself is mid cycle. i'm just about stumped as to what i can do to level out the pH without adding more stress to my betta. is this pH tolerable for him for now? i will probably work on cutting his water changing water with pet store pH controlled water once the cycling is finished

also, do you think it would be safe to medicate in a cycling tank? or should i set him up in a hospital tank while continuing the cycle in his normal tank?

Easy enough to move the Betta into a separate hospital tub / tank and treat him. Just keep up with the pwc and watch his parameters.

Mopani wood is an easy one which will create the tannins which can help - available at most big box lfs and also local independant stores.

Back
Top Bottom