Hmmm oscar....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cell_spyder143

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a Decent sized blue gourami, my girl got me an Oscar. would the gourami be ok with an Oscar?

The Oscar needs 75 gallons all by itself
The gourami will most likely be a snack

emerald76 said:
The Oscar needs 75 gallons all by itself
The gourami will most likely be a snack

The gourami is bigger than he is though, this only temporary anyway. But in the mean time he's young and was mainly wondering when aggression comes in.

cell_spyder143 said:
The gourami is bigger than he is though, this only temporary anyway. But in the mean time he's young and was mainly wondering when aggression comes in.

You will know when the aggression comes in when your Gourami is shredded in your tank. There's no way to predict when.

Have a Decent sized blue gourami, my girl got me an Oscar. would the gourami be ok with an Oscar?

In a word "nope" here is why....

As soon as the Oscar can get it mouth around the gourami 's head it is good night, but it will bully him in the meantime.....

An Oscar will grow an inch a month being conservative.

I bought a one inch Oscar in Jan he is now 6 inches....and getting his own 75 gallon. Now as Labenator65000 will confirm, we are not being judgmental. I am not one to tell you what to do. Honestly it is none of my or our business, but you asked the question I'm just telling you what is going to happen.

Good points. I was once advised that Oscars should have a 110 gallon tank once they reach maturity. Now, all this being said, if you have the right tank for it, I would prefer an Oscar over a Blue Gourami. Oscars are very cool.

Back when I was new to Cichlids and didn't know any better, I had two Oscars in a 55 with a few mixed Africans. After posting a question like yours, and seeing the advice of others, I begrudgingly took them both back.

Back
Top Bottom