HN1 and severum mama's 5' 120 gallon journal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did you cycle the tank before putting fish in?
just asking.

Yes. We ran the filter for 24 hours and the test strips all show zero.

J/K ;)

No. We have quite a few tanks and plenty of well seeded media. We "silent" cycle all new tanks.

Yes. We ran the filter for 24 hours and the test strips all show zero.

J/K ;)

No. We have quite a few tanks and plenty of well seeded media. We "silent" cycle all new tanks.
ye, i was reading in your website that you have 75 tanks running lol
just forgot about that when i posted :facepalm:

We don't test either, so we did 3 or 4 50% water changes in the first week the tank was up, then the plants were added and I think we did 3-4 50% changes in the second week. We transferred a gunky filter pad from the 40BR that those festies were in, into one of the Rena filters. Between the filter media, the overall volume of the tank (3x bigger than the one they came out of), and the extra water changes I didn't sweat it at all.

I'm probably the only one on the site that would say it's easier to do a 50% water change on a 120 gallon tank than to use a test kit, but hey, that's the way I feel. LOL.

As for an update on the inhabitants, the HY511s are outta there (except for one we haven't been able to catch yet). They were not nippy or aggressive, but turned out to be so active in that tank that they were stressing the festies. The dorsigera were unaffected but the festies wouldn't even come out to eat after a while, so HN1 caught the tetras and put them back out into the fishroom. Stock (for now) is the 2 festies, 3 dorsigera, and 1 big fat SAE, plus the last tetras that's going to be coming out of there eventually.

can you post another picture when you have time?

Sure, here ya go. :)
img_1726829_0_82872528b96b5227ddbc87a72ccb7f0b.jpg

severum mama said:
Sure, here ya go. :)

Killer tank! I cant even remember what that driftwood looked like!!!

What plants are on the driftwood by the way?

Those are really nice plants! The tank looks great :)

Is that a Christmas tree in the bottom right hand corner lol? Just wondering....

Hello severum mama.
I didn't really ready the whole thread but I noticed that you got HY511 (whitefin rosy tetra) I got 5 of them couple months ago. My lfs was selling them as "Candy cane tetra" :ermm: I am quite new to fish keeping, and while researching them, I couldn't find any information on Candy Cane Tetras. I found them under name "Ornate tetra". Few days ago I also found them in another lfs at completely different mane. :banghead: Still trying to find some info about them. It would be great if you could steer me in right direction.
Thanks!!! :thanks:
BTW. Your tank looks great!
I got my first tank in September, second in December, already thinking of third one. :fish2:

Killer tank! I cant even remember what that driftwood looked like!!!

What plants are on the driftwood by the way?

Anubias nana and java ferns. There are also some Anubias barteri on part of the driftwood but they aren't attached.

Those are really nice plants! The tank looks great :)

Is that a Christmas tree in the bottom right hand corner lol? Just wondering....

Yep, there is no other place to put a Christmas tree in this house. LOL.

Hello severum mama.
I didn't really ready the whole thread but I noticed that you got HY511 (whitefin rosy tetra) I got 5 of them couple months ago. My lfs was selling them as "Candy cane tetra" :ermm: I am quite new to fish keeping, and while researching them, I couldn't find any information on Candy Cane Tetras. I found them under name "Ornate tetra". Few days ago I also found them in another lfs at completely different mane. :banghead: Still trying to find some info about them. It would be great if you could steer me in right direction.
Thanks!!! :thanks:
BTW. Your tank looks great!
I got my first tank in September, second in December, already thinking of third one. :fish2:

Ornate tetra is Hyphessobrycon ornatus, Bentos tetra is H. bentosi, and there is also a rosy tetra that is H rosaceus. I've seen all of them referred to as HY511 but there are subtle differences between them... I think ours are bentosi.

The problem with common names is that they don't tell you anything because any wholesaler or LFS can just make them up.

The problem with common names is that they don't tell you anything because any wholesaler or LFS can just make them up.

My sister works at a fish store, and was telling me about some "Crimson Clown Cichlids" that they got in. I went in a couple weeks later to check them out. Turns out they were Bolivian Rams.

Back
Top Bottom