HN1 and severum mama's 5' 120 gallon journal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats looking pretty cool. I'm excited to see how it fills in. All you guys with your beautiful planted tanks are giving me the itch to try a real planted tank. I think you said something about no CO2 on this one, is that right?

No CO2, running 2x48W T5 HO, planted low light plants. Most of what we planted could be grown emersed so they could be cool in a planted tank, vivarium, whatever. :)

54, good call. Been a while since I used 48" T5 HO's. LOL. And THANKS!

Just uploaded more festie pics. :)
img_1684561_0_aba75c716ae777944003eda43808b32a.jpg

img_1684561_1_4c9ae225b3703de9cf38d84b6a0b9abe.jpg

img_1684561_2_1a3f106f0df2e68bdf7332502086fda1.jpg

With dorsigera and HY511 photobomb
img_1684561_3_2e3969c6233787db96aeced7ca456dc6.jpg

Nice, I'll be hitting you up for some of those soon, hoping to get one of the 40Bs set up first, but students are kinda slow at the rock-scaping.

Don't know anything about these cichlids, but I assume they are an American variety based on their colors/appearance? Are they hard to keep?

Nice, I'll be hitting you up for some of those soon, hoping to get one of the 40Bs set up first, but students are kinda slow at the rock-scaping.

Don't know anything about these cichlids, but I assume they are an American variety based on their colors/appearance? Are they hard to keep?
Yes, they are South American. Their real colors don't show up in the pics, they show some quite beautiful (yet subtle) greens and blues when they aren't acting all shy.

The tetras are beautiful, I have not seen those ones around here in SCaliforna....are they cousins of the Serpae tetras?
Same genus, so I suppose yes they are!

yay! videos :) it looks amazing i love the contrast of the white sand and the tangled vine like driftwood! keep up the good work, i wish my tanks could look half as good as yours

severum mama said:
Forgot to add this video that I got last night. :)

Wow the Mesounautas are big!

Looks like the plants started to grow already!. Besides the root tablets, Are you adding any thing else for the plants?

Wow, amazing!

Makes me want to start up another large tank.

Ok, who am I kidding, I'm just using yours as an excuse, I've been wanting another large tank for months now. ;)

Wow the Mesounautas are big!

Looks like the plants started to grow already!. Besides the root tablets, Are you adding any thing else for the plants?

No, we are not. We do have some Seachem and Brightwell supplements that we can add as the need arises. There are probably 30 root tabs in that sand so the crypts seem to be enjoying it. There has been some significant new growth from just about all of them.

These Mesonauta acora are a good bit larger, and bulkier, than the 5 Mesonauta festivus that we have in the other 120.

Wow, amazing!

Makes me want to start up another large tank.

Ok, who am I kidding, I'm just using yours as an excuse, I've been wanting another large tank for months now. ;)

LOL! We want an even larger tank so we can get more clown loaches. 120 gallons just doesn't look that big anymore. :angel:

LOL! We want an even larger tank so we can get more clown loaches. 120 gallons just doesn't look that big anymore. :angel:
Ya, a 120 really isn't big enough to properly keep a group of clown loaches in the long haul. One reason I have kubotai botias in mine. Clowns aren't as attractive when they're more than 4-5" IMO, their colors look more washed out as they grow.

Looks awesome! I maybe could might possibly be a little jealous! Lol lol

Honestly that looks awesome!

I just started up a 125 gallon ( that's 2 125, a 55, a 75 and a 46 :) ) but I dirted mine because I planted it very heavily but I love the look of this tank,

What!!!! You just got the tank and 120 gallons does not look big! That's like the Titanic of tanks to me :huh:

:flowers:

This is our second 120 so yeah, it's a big tank, but nothing huge for us.

Ya, a 120 really isn't big enough to properly keep a group of clown loaches in the long haul. One reason I have kubotai botias in mine. Clowns aren't as attractive when they're more than 4-5" IMO, their colors look more washed out as they grow.

Yep, they're in the other 120 for now and we hadn't ever planned on keeping them there for the long haul. We picked them up at a club auction from someone who had them in a tank half the size of ours. They're about 4.5-5 inches now.

Did you cycle the tank before putting fish in?
just asking.

Back
Top Bottom