Hole in bio-wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmy420

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a slice in between two of the "blades" on the bio-wheel... Is this a big problem? I am at a time where I really need them on there and a new one would be a no no... Is it still doing its job? Will anything bad happen?

thanks.

Don't worry, it's still doing it's job. If it flaps around too much, could do a quick fix while it's still wet, with a needle, poke a thread through both ends and tie them together. If it's not completely separated and flapping, don't worry about it. As long as the sprayer is spraying the bio-wheel like it's supposed to and it still spins fine, you are a-ok.

I dunno about the sprayer thing... I have an older penguin, the water just rushed below it. I didnt even notice it till i spread it apart a little bit cuz it looked like it might of been out of shape.. Thanks

You are ok then. I forgot not all models have sprayers, like my Emperor. Yours works with the water flow. As long as it's spinning, you are fine. :)

Its just folded paper. There is a seam in between the folds on each biowheel. (they have to start and end wrapping somewhere!) If it is falling apart, buy a new one and get it started on the tank. I would take the old biowheel and float it or tear the paper off and stuff in in the water flow somehow. You can also use a Qtip to rub some of teh slime off the old biowheel onto the paper of the new one. That will speed things up. But, remember that not all of your bacteria are located on the biowheel. They are throughout the tank, so you should be ok. That being said, it is wise to monitor for a mini cycle.

Your Bio-wheel will operate just fine like everyone said. This will not effect the growth of bacteria so their is no need for alarm. You do not have to run out to the Local Fish Store and purchase a new one. Even within the Marineland Owners Manual you will read that eventually even irregular spinning of the Bio-wheel will occur. Just as long as their is water contact you will be fine. I prefer the Emperor over the penguin just because it has the jet stream over the Bio-wheels. :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom