Holiday Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sproutyrouty

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I've come back from my holiday I used a tetra holiday block to feed the fish and had someone doing water changes every other day.

Now my ammonia won't drop below 1.0 and nitrite is at 0.5 and no matter how many water changes I do it just won't drop.

There is no waste on the bottom of the tank. I'm currently at a loss at what to do.
I have a 30l tank with 1 betta and 2 cardinals.

Yeah, that suckth. Removing as much waste as possible helps but really you are looking at numerous water changes with a conditioner that will detoxify ammonia. Eventually the good bacteria catch up. A pinch of salt (NaCl) will protect the fish against nitrites (brown blood disease).

I assume you checked the tap water isn't the cause? Also that tank ph hasn't dropped below say 6.5 when the bacteria slow down in activity.

Yeah, that suckth. Removing as much waste as possible helps but really you are looking at numerous water changes with a conditioner that will detoxify ammonia. Eventually the good bacteria catch up. A pinch of salt (NaCl) will protect the fish against nitrites (brown blood disease).

I assume you checked the tap water isn't the cause? Also that tank ph hasn't dropped below say 6.5 when the bacteria slow down in activity.

I've always had a problem with my tap water as it has a bit of ammonia in it nothing major though

My ph is 7.4

Since this my betta has developed what I can only presume is fin rot as its fin is flaking away however this was a small issue before the holiday which has now grown and is a concern

Looked ok I think. I add extra ceramic biomedia into mine wherever I can fit it but I assume all was good before.

Changed the water 10 hours ago ammonia and nitrite off the charts again already im at a proper loss at what to do.

I've also started to add aquarium salt just 1 teaspoon per water change.

Is it 30 litres or 30 long?

If your getting a bit of ammonia in tap water anyway and tank is big enough, running a small HOB will give you backup filtration.

Every time a filter cartridge is replaced you have some bb lost, it's just making sure that is a small amount.

It sounds like the bacteria have been nuked somehow. Into recycling the tank.

Apart from water changes and a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia like seachem prime or API amono lock you could also try a product from the lfs that adds nitifying bacteria to quick start cycling a tank. You want one that just adds nitrifying bacteria to cycle a tank (product label must say this) and not sludge destroying bacteria. These products can be hit and miss so can't depend on it but rarely cause an issue.

Otherwise I'm sorry as it gets old quick, but water changes are your best weapon. It would also be worth trying to find out why the tank is recycling. I'm sure you have thought on this already. My experience has been either cleaning the filter too often or meds/chemical related.

What type of test are you using to check ammonia

- strips or API liquid tests? If you've done significant water changes and your readings don't budge, could it be inaccurate test results?

Do you clean your filter in tank water (dirty) when you do the water changes? Over zealous cleaning can also mess with the nitrifying bacteria

ETA: Any chance the person doing your water changes while you were away might have rinsed the filter media in tap water or not conditioned the water before adding it to the tank? Either could destroy the bb

Is it 30 litres or 30 long?

If your getting a bit of ammonia in tap water anyway and tank is big enough, running a small HOB will give you backup filtration.

Every time a filter cartridge is replaced you have some bb lost, it's just making sure that is a small amount.

It sounds like the bacteria have been nuked somehow. Into recycling the tank.

Apart from water changes and a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia like seachem prime or API amono lock you could also try a product from the lfs that adds nitifying bacteria to quick start cycling a tank. You want one that just adds nitrifying bacteria to cycle a tank (product label must say this) and not sludge destroying bacteria. These products can be hit and miss so can't depend on it but rarely cause an issue.

Otherwise I'm sorry as it gets old quick, but water changes are your best weapon. It would also be worth trying to find out why the tank is recycling. I'm sure you have thought on this already. My experience has been either cleaning the filter too often or meds/chemical related.

30litres it's only a diddy little tank 7-8 gallons

I've taken all decoration out of the tank last night and thinned the gravel to make sure I get all the dirt out of it when I use my gravel vac.

When I first started the tank I was told to use API quick start but never did I just added ammonia instead.

At the mo I'm doing water changes every 12 hours I'm flying through my tap safe lol.

30litres it's only a diddy little tank 7-8 gallons

I've taken all decoration out of the tank last night and thinned the gravel to make sure I get all the dirt out of it when I use my gravel vac.

When I first started the tank I was told to use API quick start but never did I just added ammonia instead.

At the mo I'm doing water changes every 12 hours I'm flying through my tap safe lol.

Ok, at least the water changes won't be too bad but feel for you.

The bacteria do live elsewhere apart from the filter so I'd just let the tank settle now as you have it.

Ok, at least the water changes won't be too bad but feel for you.

The bacteria do live elsewhere apart from the filter so I'd just let the tank settle now as you have it.

I honestly believe it's because of the tetra holiday block that's the only thing which changed in my tank. I honestly can't think of anything else.

Good luck with it, keep us posted.

Well after a week of adding salt I'm seeing an improvement in my betta his fins are starting to grow back I only know this due to the transparent colour at the ends.

I'm surprised he's happy tho as the ammonia just won't drop below 1pmm and the nitrite is 0.25-0.50pmm.

I've now readded a API crystal cartridge back into my filter.

So my ammonia and nitrite have sorted them selfs out.

Betta fins had started to grow back and I came in from work today and it looked like a shredder had been taken to them!

Is it my cardinals I have honesty never seen them attack the Betta.

Now I've sorted my tank I was going to add more to make sure it was more a school of fish rather than the 2 or am I better getting something else?

Hmmm, are you seeing anything at say feeding time where the betta looks like he is guarding his tail fins? Or is he charging in to get the food without a care.

He's is pretty quick at eating food tbh he eats it at the surface, the cardinals wait for bits to drop and they move like lightning to get it.

Back
Top Bottom