How can I lower my pH the natural way?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EEk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone.. so I finally have my tank cycled, I'm about a week away from introducing new fish - otos (they are in QT), and I have a nice group of plants doing the plant thing in my tank. My ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all at proper levels and I've done water changes when they are appropriate. Temperature is a nice tropical 78 - 80

The only thing that eludes me is my pH. In the beginning, I tried pH down. That was before I came here and haven't used it since. It might have even killed one of my fish when I started the tank. At anyrate, I'd like some advice on how to lower my pH in a natural way. I have two pieces of drift wood, went looking for peat and can't find any (one lfs didn't have a clue as to why I would want to put peat in my tank *sigh*)

I'm sure someone will ask me what my tap water reads at and that comes in at 8 - 8.5. Generally my tank is at 8. I don't have a tester for gH or kH and don't know if that's something I want to buy a kit for.. I haven't seen any testers for that anyway (though, I haven't looked too hard).

any advice would be appreciated.. tia

I was in exactly the same position as you as my well water has a ph of 8.0-8.5. I, too, tried the "ph down" route as well but the water's pH didn't budge. Through the exceptional knowledge available from the experts on this site, I was old to choose the fish that like high pH values not try to change water that refuses to cooperate. I opted for guppies.

My tank just finished cycling last week, and I introduced the guppies early this week, So far so good.

I know I didn't answer your question, but I'm not one of the experts. Sorry.

The absolute easiest way is to use CO2. You do not have to have high lights and fancy plants to benefit from it, as even in lower light conditions the plants will thank you, and you can often keep algae at bay this way.

The main thing about it is that you must know your KH. I am going to guess that you have a nice high KH (above 4-5 degrees) and that is a good thing, which means you have high buffering capacity, and your pH will be more stable after CO2. It is annoying of me to post a link but it is a very detailed subject and a little reading will help you immensely. http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

Conversely, Leigh has an excellent point - even easier than setting up a DIY CO2 system is to just keep fish that like your water. There are tons of beautiful fish that prefer water like yours, and there are plants that do, to. Livebearers usually like hard, alkaline water, as do African cichlids. Some other fish that originate from softer, more acidic waters have been tank-bred and raised for so many generations that they are adapted to harder water, and your LFS might know of some local breeders who raise fish in the same water as you have.

BTW, you can order peat for your filter from aquarium supply retailers. That might help some but I don't know if it will bring your water to neutral.

CO2 is super easy, it took me 15 min. to set up my DIY... AND you can get peat cheap online. I use both and haven't looked back since

I agree, order the peat ASAP. I use driftwood in my community tank, but it does take a while to "kick in."
FYI--otos are usually added to established tanks because they need a lot of food. If they will eat algae wafers, then they will do fine.

Too bad you already have cockatoo cichlids or i would say start an african cichlid tank! As a matter of fact, once you get the peat and the co2 cranking, i would definetly do an african cichlid tank...black sand, nice rock caves, couple of cichlid friendly plants...oops sorry i started to daydream. Wish my tap water was that high in PH,lol.

Back
Top Bottom