How did i get a neon tetra?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somykidswantedanaquarium

Aquarium Advice Activist
I as some of you know I lost all my fish due to ich so I was finishing my heating cycle to make sure it's all gone . Well as I was getting ready to pull a cave decoration out a tiny little neon tetra swam out ?!? Now I only had 3 tiger barbs and a pleco for about a month maybe a little less so where did he come from?!? Could he have been hiding this whole time? Could it be a baby that happened to come home with us? I'm so confused has anyone had this happen?

Well my mystery neon tetra is still alive he is covered in ich but the heat and salt seems to be making it better fingers crossed he makes it but still don't know how he got in there haha but I'm sure he is scared all alone but he has 15 gallons of water all to himself lol hang in there little dude friends are on the way soon

Do you have any plants? It's possible an egg came in with the plants.I honestly can't think of any other explanation.

I had a plant when I first set up the tank but wasn't sure what to do with it (I was new and didn't know about AA) so after about two weeks my water was getting cloudy (no fish yet) so I pulled the plant out after two weeks I got my 3 tiger barbs and pleco (long story) he was suppose to be a Cory cat lol anyways ich broke out so I slowly lost them all then noticed this little tiny tetra just appear out of nowhere but he hides all day and night in the cave I have to shine a flashlight in it just to make sure he's not belly up I've seen him twice in a week and it was brief

image-2481070782.jpg

Best picture I can get tried to zoom in he is so small though I would say 1/2 in but extremely bright hope you can see him lol

Was the tank compleatly dry when you got it? I doubt it but there might have been eggs in the tank.

Yes bone dry I'm talking about sat in her garage for a year kind of dry lol I got the plant from a friend who does not have tetras

I don't mind him though I actually didn't really care to much for neon tetras but now I have one haha just wish he was solo kind of fish because now I have him until he dies along with his friends I have to get once I'm sure my tank is ich free lol

I've heard stories of fish being dried up and surviving. Perhaps there was a baby that wasn't noticable.

Wow. That is.... bizarre. Not going to lie, I have no idea where he came from.
Random tiny hitchhiker along with the other fish who happened to blend in because he was really really small? Sorry, you probably said this, but how long has the tank been set up?

Yeah, I think he is too developed to have been an egg. I think he must somehow hitch hiked in unseen with your other fish or some item of decor or something. How odd. Lol.
Well, regardless of how he got there, I hope he pulls through. :)

Back
Top Bottom