How do I maintain a cycled tank with no fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have any "animals" in your tank, do not dose with ammo. They create it and will suffer greatly if you're trying to maintain a 4ppm level. Throw food, veggies, raw shrimp in as anything that decays wil feed the cycle. I know squash does since I lost a piece in my planted tank and had a small ammo spike. After I dealt with it, the spike went away.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

Oh what I was trying to say is I am trying to keep my QT alive by keeping the snails it in..not dosing with ammo...since the snails create ammo I thought this might be a good simple way to keep it alive...

siva said:
Oh what I was trying to say is I am trying to keep my QT alive by keeping the snails it in..not dosing with ammo...since the snails create ammo I thought this might be a good simple way to keep it alive...

I don't know, but IMO a couple of snails won't create enough waste to keep a cycle going is my point.

What do you have in your QT?

I prefer keeping mine bare, no substrate, decco, plants, etc. Anything that can harbor a parasite or whatever just defeats the purpose of a QT, IMHO.

Not sure how you're set up, so here's my example. When I need a QT set up, I take 1 of my 2 filters from my DT and 20 gal of water, put it all in my spare 20 and I'm instantly cycled. When I'm doing a med treatment and complete it, I tear it all down and clean it all out because I don't want to infect anything I might put in later. Filter goes back to DT and in a week or less, it's reseeded.

Hope this help!

I don't know, but IMO a couple of snails won't create enough waste to keep a cycle going is my point.

What do you have in your QT?

I prefer keeping mine bare, no substrate, decco, plants, etc. Anything that can harbor a parasite or whatever just defeats the purpose of a QT, IMHO.

Not sure how you're set up, so here's my example. When I need a QT set up, I take 1 of my 2 filters from my DT and 20 gal of water, put it all in my spare 20 and I'm instantly cycled. When I'm doing a med treatment and complete it, I tear it all down and clean it all out because I don't want to infect anything I might put in later. Filter goes back to DT and in a week or less, it's reseeded.

Hope this help!

Thank you, my QT is pretty new so I can use the advise. Well I felt that some plants and decor were necesary to provide hiding spots. Like when I got my male and female killi, she needed to be able to hide from him when he got to be just too much (until I can get more females) so I thought a more regular tank set up was better. Also how long do you leave them in there? I just feel bad leaving anyone in a bare tank for any amount of time. I'm a big softie :)

I have never medicated anything yet except for a betta in their own tank, so that is something to think about, thank you for bringing that up.

When my crab tank had no crabs in it for a while the trumpet snails kept it alive so that's what gave me the idea. 4 medium sized snails produce a fair amount of waste, I think, for a 10 gal. Since I am never adding very much fish to the QT at one time, I feel like this should work. I like the idea of it all being already completely ready to go in an emergency.

siva said:
Thank you, my QT is pretty new so I can use the advise. Well I felt that some plants and decor were necesary to provide hiding spots. Like when I got my male and female killi, she needed to be able to hide from him when he got to be just too much (until I can get more females) so I thought a more regular tank set up was better. Also how long do you leave them in there? I just feel bad leaving anyone in a bare tank for any amount of time. I'm a big softie :)

I have never medicated anything yet except for a betta in their own tank, so that is something to think about, thank you for bringing that up.

When my crab tank had no crabs in it for a while the trumpet snails kept it alive so that's what gave me the idea. 4 medium sized snails produce a fair amount of waste, I think, for a 10 gal. Since I am never adding very much fish to the QT at one time, I feel like this should work. I like the idea of it all being already completely ready to go in an emergency.

I can see if you have an aggressive fish the need to put something for hiding. When I QT new fish or plants, I give it 3-5 days on average and keep a close eye on them.

But anytime I have to do meds and complete a course of it, I clean my QT out good. IMO, transferring fish from one tank to another can be hazardous if you're unsure of its health.

If you can put 2 filters on your DT, you automatically have a ready made colony.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

I can see if you have an aggressive fish the need to put something for hiding. When I QT new fish or plants, I give it 3-5 days on average and keep a close eye on them.

But anytime I have to do meds and complete a course of it, I clean my QT out good. IMO, transferring fish from one tank to another can be hazardous if you're unsure of its health.

If you can put 2 filters on your DT, you automatically have a ready made colony.

HMM I recently got a bunch of new plants and didn't even think to QT them. Of course that make sense. I'm a total space cadet sometimes

siva said:
HMM I recently got a bunch of new plants and didn't even think to QT them. Of course that make sense. I'm a total space cadet sometimes

I didn't worry about it either until I got a case of ick right after I put new plants in.

Well al of this is good information. Yeah I wasn't thinking when I started this tank, I said it was going to be a QT tank, but after I got it I decided to have a dirted planted tank. I probably won't use this as a QT but instead put some foam into the filter and add a couple of fish then buy a small 5 gallon for QT and when I need it I will simply move the foam from the 10 gallon to the QT and it should be instant cycle.

Thanks to all for all the good information, this forum is a great bunch of folks.

Mixer said:
Well al of this is good information. Yeah I wasn't thinking when I started this tank, I said it was going to be a QT tank, but after I got it I decided to have a dirted planted tank. I probably won't use this as a QT but instead put some foam into the filter and add a couple of fish then buy a small 5 gallon for QT and when I need it I will simply move the foam from the 10 gallon to the QT and it should be instant cycle.

Thanks to all for all the good information, this forum is a great bunch of folks.

Just a suggestion, but consider your biggest fish and size the QT to that. I have a big 4 yo Moor and QT him in a 20.

Back
Top Bottom