How Do I Make Sure I'm Not Getting Sick Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've just read multiple "fish horror stories" in which a new fish introduced to a tank kills everything else in it with some terrible disease like columnaris. Being new to the hobby, finding out about this was terrifying and very concerning. I don't want anything like this to happen to me or my fish.
What steps can I take to prevent this? What signs of disease should I be on the lookout for when getting fish?
I am trying to get a ten gallon quarantine/fry tank, but I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to get one. If I can't, what are other options? I know quarantining really helps prevent disease outbreaks. How long should I quarantine for if I can? Should I treat them with meds just in case?
I also have a bottle of Kordon natural fish prep- will this help at all?
The fish/animals in question are longfin panda corydoras, ADFs, and platies I will purchase from LFS or online (if you know if a good company that sells these, please let me know). I don't know what kind of diseases they are most susceptible to, but if you do please let me know.
Also, how do you quarantine ADFs? Are there certain things they can or can't have?
Sorry for all the questions... I just want to do this right.

Questions are good! I can't answer all of them, so fortunately there are many knowledgeable people on this forum.

Quarantine tanks are so much less expensive than treating and replacing your current stock. Ten gallon tanks are cheap. Ours is a $15 tank, $15 50 watt preset heater, and $10 hacked Aqueon QuietFlow. Hacked meaning we took out the cartridges and replaced it with other media.

I generally treat new fish with Herbtana Microbe Lift. Some people say it's snake oil, and maybe it is. Don't treat with antibiotics preventatively.

You can do this!

Quarantine should last for 6 weeks, that way any issues have time to appear before you expose your other fish. You shouldn't need to treat unless you know the fish is sick from the get go, but some treat as a precursor.

The cories and platies are susceptible to any common fish disease but doesn't mean they will get them as long as you take proper care of them and still even then they can come down with ich or any number for common illnesses. The best way to get healthy fish is to see in them in person or get them from a "trusted breeder" (which I use loosely because even some breeders with good reputations can have bad stock).

You can quarantine ADF like you would any fish minus any medicine, however ADF are not susceptible to the same diseases as fish. The big thing with frogs is chytrid (Google will give a million descriptions, basically it is a fatal fungus that is killing off a lot of frogs). I would suggest you not put ADF in with your cories or platies, ADF have bad eye sight and will nip and try to eat anything that goes in front of them. ADF also need a short tank and to be hand fed or at least be fed from a bowl in the same location every time.

And you didn't ask too many questions, keep asking and it will all start to make sense. Before you know it you'll have a great looking tank.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the help! My current stock looks great and I can't wait to get a QT tank so I can get some more. I'm especially excited about getting more cories. :)

DO NOT buy fish from Walmart! If you do you will not only lose those fish, but you can also wipe out your entire tank just by adding them to it, and I'm speaking from experience. I bought GloFish from Walmart once and within a few days they all came down with ich and even though I tried to treat them, they all still died within a week; killing all my other fish as well. If I had had a quarantine tank, they might have lived and I wouldn't have lost all my other fish, but I didn't have the space or money for another tank. Bottom line is, only buy fish from reputable sources like local fish stores in your area or "Mom and Pop" shops as they care better for and take pride in their fish and they're usually more knowledgeable than chain pet stores like Petco or PetSmart.

The Petcos by me are better than some of the mom-and-pop shops. It's the people that matter.

Wal-Mart, however.... I would say don't buy anything at all from Wal-Mart. Ever.

Thank you, I will avoid Walmart like the plague. The local Petco isn't great, usually I only buy supplies and equipment there. I have to go an hour away to a great fish store, so it's worth it. They've been pretty good with giving me healthy fish, but I'm getting a QT tank because I'm not taking any chances.

My local petco in central NJ is very good, fairly good selection and the staff for the most part very knowledgeable. Still, we need to be careful introducing any new fish in an established tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've just read multiple "fish horror stories" in which a new fish introduced to a tank kills everything else in it with some terrible disease like columnaris. Being new to the hobby, finding out about this was terrifying and very concerning. I don't want anything like this to happen to me or my fish.
What steps can I take to prevent this? What signs of disease should I be on the lookout for when getting fish?
I am trying to get a ten gallon quarantine/fry tank, but I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to get one. If I can't, what are other options? I know quarantining really helps prevent disease outbreaks. How long should I quarantine for if I can? Should I treat them with meds just in case?
I also have a bottle of Kordon natural fish prep- will this help at all?
The fish/animals in question are longfin panda corydoras, ADFs, and platies I will purchase from LFS or online (if you know if a good company that sells these, please let me know). I don't know what kind of diseases they are most susceptible to, but if you do please let me know.
Also, how do you quarantine ADFs? Are there certain things they can or can't have?
Sorry for all the questions... I just want to do this right.

If you a regular water change routine make and do not feed too much, you will not get any fish diseases. The fishes not too narrow.
The overall condition of the aquarium must be in order. The water plants should grow well. Since nitrate and phosphate are kept in the normal range.
But you also have to make sure that all the nutrients are there. Especially CO2.

Yes, there are no patent recipes. The whole is a cohesive system. If it in order, You have no Problems.

All good advice above..
So lets say you are in it too win it.
No replacement for 6 week QT except euthanasia and sterilizing your tank..
If you have fish in a tank then it is your QT...Add no more.. It is not a proper 'hospital' tank but you may never need to treat the fish?
Without QT just watch the fish you have for 6 weeks closely still.

Lets go right to the store/breeder or where ever you get your fish that you can see them first. This is when disease diagnosis is MOST important IMO and proper diagnosis not so important !
It really doesn't matter if the fish has columnaris or ich does it? DON'T BUY IT !
Learn to recognize healthy and sick fish.
Recognize proper behavior so you can see if the fish is acting weird in the store not your tank.
SLOW DOWN>>>>
I don't like to let fish stay anywhere longer then they have to, but sometimes it is better to come back another day and see how the fish faired ?
So having healthy fish is lot like stocking properly...
research,research and research along as many water changes as you can manage has worked for me.
If you order fish online from anywhere they are being shipped in ,you really should have a QT set up for them and only them and be prepared to treat for anything as you have not had the priviledge of choosing.

Sorry to sound cold, but NEVER rescue a sick/wounded fish.It is a shame the seller displayed the fish as it should never have up for sale IMO.
Everyone THINKS they are paying for healthy fish ? Learn how to recognize them.(y)

Thanks for all the help, coralbandit. I'm going to get my QT tank set up soon and as soon as it's cycled I'm going to get my new fish. I'm willing to be extra patient for the health of my fish.
I'll make sure to look for signs of disease and avoid buying any fish that appear sick.

Back
Top Bottom