How do I Snailproof?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelJones

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm a new aquarium owner and I want to plant my tank. How do I make sure that I don't have snails on my plants?

You really can't. One way or another, snails will get in!!!
The best thing you could do if you really don't want snails is to bleach dip them before you put them in the tank.
I've learned to embrace the snails, there's no getting around them. As long as you don't overfeed, you can keep their population in check. IMO only ones you don't want are pond snails....Malaysian trumpet snails and rams horns snails are awesome!

+1 with Nils.
You can add assassin snails to the mix and they will take care of all the other snails..

Thanks guys. I just thought snails were bad and over populated quickly. I will think of them as friends. ☺

Ang...

The best you can do is to do a good job of rinsing the new plants before they go into the tank. This isn't fool proof though. Some species, like Ramshorn, are good for the tank. You can control the population, if you have them, by making sure you don't feed the fish too much. Flaked foods, with high phosphate should be avoided. Lastly, if you have them, use a wooden spoon to crush the shells and the fish will relish the remains.

B

IMG_7583.jpgIMG_7452.jpgIMG_7490.jpgIMG_7480.jpg
Snails are a beautiful clean up crew and add much to a tank when their numbers are managed.

You could try obtaining tissue culture plants. These are usually available at the big box stores as well as online. They should be snail free.
I have a planted tank. I have snails. No problems from what I've seen. As mentioned above, over population is usually an indicator of over feeding.

I've had quite the pond snail invasion a year back, I was at my whit's end. So I introduced 3 dwarf chain loaches to my 40 gallon tank, four weeks after... not a snail to be seen! And they make a good community fish imo...

But I recommend to only add a biological countermeasure when things are getting really dire. I wasn't as experienced as I am now. Could've fed my fish less food and that would've brought the expansion to a halt as well.. But hey, live and learn!

Sent per three-eyed raven..

+ snails are actually good to have in the aquarium, but I'm more concerned with the view since it was my showcase tank.

I saw some YouTuber spray his plants with hydrogen peroxide then diped them in water before putting them inside the aquarium. Is this okay to do ? I mean he sounded so confident into what he was saying

H2o2 is used commonly to fight algae. Not sure how it would do for snails. Most do a bleech dip for snails.

Recruiting members for the crazy snail lady club! Lol
? ?
I saw some YouTuber spray his plants with hydrogen peroxide then diped them in water before putting them inside the aquarium. Is this okay to do ? I mean he sounded so confident into what he was saying
Hydrogen peroxide does kill snails, but I think they would need a bath rather than a dip.
+ snails are actually good to have in the aquarium, but I'm more concerned with the view since it was my showcase tank.

But snails are so interesting!

1488145618085.jpg

Ya I think youd need a bath. They flock to it on plants that have been sprayed.

I'd be cautious with chemical dips; I know a lot of people swear by them but I've had dipped plants that fail to thrive and just continually toe the line between growing and decomposing!

If they're a concern, just pluck them out as you see them. As others pointed out, lots of fish enjoy snails squished or whole.

Back
Top Bottom