How does an overflow work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You do not need a bubble trap before the refugium. Just after. Just razor blade the first partition out. I would move the partition that's up off of the bottom in the return side also. I would want that about an inch away from the partition before it, and about an inch off of the bottom.

There's a partition on the fuge side, should I move that to the return side and then have to partitions closer together for my bubble trap... ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398360737.743240.jpg

Yes. Move that one that's up in the air to the other side of the one that's down. Then remove the other one completely, or at least move it closer and lower it some. 1" from the bottom and 1" away should be good.
So, trying to explain this better- first partition sits on tank bottom, second is moved to 1" off the bottom, and 1" away from 1st, and 3rd either is not used, or can be sitting 1" away from that one, and on the bottom.

That should work. The partition far left in the pic is not necessary. Can you fit a return pump in the last section? You are definitely going to need an auto top off for that sump or your pump is going to run dry. All evaporation will be seen in that little return area.

Ya I don't know why that's there.. There's one on both sides of the fuge... I'm going to the city next week to look for a pump and everything else I need, If I can't find one that will fit I'm just going to reorganize the bubble trap a bit.

How would I make something to automatically top it up? Could I just get a second smaller pump and pump water directly from where the water comes in straight to the return area? Or would that cause problems not going through the fuge and bubble trap?

I just spend a little over $1000 on the remaining stuff I needed. I can't really afford one of this atm. My pump can be an inline pump... Could I just hook up a T PVC pipe connection and have it take half the water from the return part and another from another part that won't empty as quickly?

It doesn't work that way. All evap is seen in the return area, but it's the entire system's evap that shows up there. You will need an ATO of some sort. As mentioned earlier, a simple float switch with a container of water above it will also do the trick for much less. I just like the JBJ product.

Okay. I'll do some more research on it. Is there anyway that I could cycle my tank without the sump? Well at least start it... And then when I get the ATO all set up get my sump going?

Yes. You can do that. Make sure all of the rock is in the DT though. If you plan on having any in the refugium area, put it in the DT while it's cycling.

Okay thank you :) so far I just have base rock. I bought some live sand though. It was the same price as the regular stuff. Still trying to catch a good deal on live rock so my cycles going to take awhile so the sooner I can start it the better.

It doesn't make a difference. You can use all dry rock and just use an ammonia source like a raw cocktail shrimp to start the cycle.

Okay. That's how I was planning on doing it. That's how I cycled my freshwater so I was comfortable doing that instead of dosing it with ammonia. I bought a really fancy test kit and I'm really excited to use it. It tests for everything I could have thought of and I've only ever used the test strips (I know. Bad me)

I added the live sand. And lo and behold it's soo cloudy. Could I add an old filter with some filter mesh to try and catch the smaller particles? Do you think that would work? I'm leaving for 5 days... So I could always wait it out. But I'd like to help it along a bit.

Back
Top Bottom