How does an overflow work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay :) I have these insert things. And I'm thinking if using a coffee filter to filter it.. Would the salt be able to go through (it is all dissolved but...)

I'm really wanting to get a little bit of live rock... I'm wanting to get some pods or worms, something "cool". Which I know won't just magically appear. But at $12/pound I'm kinda stuck. If I was to buy just one decent sized piece what's the chances I'd get some hitchhikers. I have a new "friend" who also has a salt water tank, if I bugged him for some sand could I possibly get some of these things in the sand he gives me? I bought live sand, but I'm pretty sure it's actually dead sand hah. I just don't know how to introduce these things without spending too much money..

IMO sand is sand. You may get a hitchhiker or two. With live rock you wil for sure. I doubt the bagged "live" sand will have any hitchhikers. Wow $12 a pound that's around twice what I can get it for. Where do you live? Have you tried online? If I was to start over Again I would go 50/50 live and dry rock. At that price I'd most likely buy 1/4 live and the rest dry. But any amount should bring hitchhikers. The more rock the more and varied hitchhikers will come with it.

I'm located in Manitoba. I've been searching local forums for people who are closing there tanks down and selling there rock. But so far no luck... I guess I'll cough up some money and hopefully get something on the rock... I'm not going to do that until my sump gets going though, so maybe by then I'll luck out and find something.

Hoping you guys can help me out. I went looking everywhere for uncooked shrimp and couldn't find it. Don't know if there sold out or don't sell it.. But I have a jar of dead brine shrimp, could I add that to the tank to get it to cycle? There left overs from yesterday's fry feast. I leave for 5 days and really would like to get the jump start while I'm away...

You can't get a piece of dead fish from the supermarket? How about pure ammonia from the hardware store?

I checked my ammonia today just for fun and I'm getting a .6 reading. Nothing to fun, but do you think the "live" sand has enough dead things in it to be cycling my tank...?

I found dead fish... But they just had huge pieces (I don't need a $30 fish... But I might be forced to make fish supper soon I guess).

Go to the seafood counter and tell them you want a 2" piece of fish. They will cut you whatever you want. They get paid by the hour and do not care.

So I've thought about the ATO. I got thinking as a cheap thing to start me off (I'll try it out and see how it goes), is use one of my smaller pumps set on a timer. Depending on how much Evap I have will decide what I set the timer for (1,2, or 3 15 minute intervals through out a 24 period). I would have a tub beside my tank (hopefully my grandpa can build me a cabinet so it doesn't look too ugly in the living room), with the pump inside it and flexi hose from the pump to the sump. I know it isn't perfect or fool proof, but my sump will be able to hold the bit extra if enough didn't evaporate.

But the way my sump and stand are there is absolutely no room for a container to hang above it. I'm going to talk to my step dad. He has a dug out that he pumps water from to his troughs when they get empty. And it's all automatic. So hopefully he can help me on a smaller scale.

Unless I could put it above and off to the side (on a shelf beside the stand and tank)

I just ordered this. You run the line into it and set it at the level you want in your sump. As long as its higher than the sump you can hang it In the garage from the cieling if you want. Just make sure you keep it clean so to not clog with salt creep.

dino

You can also order a float switch off ebay and splice it into an extension cord that a small pump is plugged into. Set the float valve at your level in sump with the pump in the ato container. And hose run to the sump. When the float drops it will kick the pump on filling the sump until the float pick up and shuts the pump off. No timers

dino

But if the container is above the tank, what will stop it from draining completely? A siphon will be created.

So basically;

I put the balloon thing in my sump, and set it to a level, if it drops below that it will open up and let water in from the other container.

So I have to run tubing from the container, to the valve, and the water travels through the valve into the sump? How do I secure it to the sump?

I'm sorry if I sound dumb, but just like the sump thing I just don't understand until it's all dumbed down :p

Back
Top Bottom