How Does My Stock List Look?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
****...are you going to do it? Where are you finding all these local fish!?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm definitely going to do it. They are just fry, but totally worth it.
I live in a great area for cichlids. Our natural water table is perfect for them.
I don't know if I mentioned I live about 15 minutes from livefishdirect.com and there are 3 other good stores within an hour.

The neon, and my ngara I found just on our local classifieds. No one uses craigslist here in Utah we use KSL.com/classifieds.

I mapped it and it's a two hour drive there and back. Probably going to go tomorrow or Saturday.

I keep looking at pictures of them. I gotta have it. Even if I have to get rid of somebody. I'd get rid of my Benga to have a blue neon.

So lucky. I wish I lived close to places like that. Are you going to grab more than one, or are you going to rely on your sexing skills to pick out a juvie male? A 2 hour round trip isn't bad at all. I'd do it too haha. Be sure to take pics of your new guy when you get him!

Shoot...for $4, I'd grab at least 2-3! Maybe you'll get lucky and end up with 1 male and 2 females, and then you can breed them, and send me some ;) haha.

I'd need another tank for that, but I have been thinking of breeding again. That would be a good one!

Wahoo just talked to the guy, I'm going to go pick up 4 of them on Wednesday. They are only 1" right now, but for $4 hell ya!

Awesome!! I'm not gonna lie....I'm pretty jealous haha. Be sure to upload some pics! Wait, so did you get another tank for them or...?

So some bad news, my Benga is starting to show signs of cloudy eye, I noticed my new addition is showing signs too. I did have a piece of branchy dw in the tank that I removed because I thought maybe they could've run into while being chased. Or maybe it's just due to stress? I did a 50% wc today and will do another one tomorrow.

Also, my "eureka's" lip looks like skin is peeling off and I'm not sure if it's due to him chasing everyone around, or if it's a disease. Tried to take some pics, the last one is the best. It sort of runs down his chin too. Any idea what it could be?

Attachments

• 1402624276690.jpg
    1402624276690.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 1402624288936.jpg
    1402624288936.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 50
They've been scrapping (fighting). Pretty normal. It looks like eye cloud, but it's not, well it is and it isn't. What he's getting is from trauma, not infection.

Melafix is a great product for healing these little fight wounds in a day or two. If he's looking too stressed maybe time him out for a few days.

Both my Red shoulder, and Maylandi had cloudy eye after their scraps, it healed in like 2 days though.

They've been scrapping (fighting). Pretty normal. It looks like eye cloud, but it's not, well it is and it isn't. What he's getting is from trauma, not infection.

Melafix is a great product for healing these little fight wounds in a day or two. If he's looking too stressed maybe time him out for a few days.

Both my Red shoulder, and Maylandi had cloudy eye after their scraps, it healed in like 2 days though.

Whew, that puts my mind somewhat at ease. I'm just glad it's not an infection that I may potentially lose my fish to. It's odd though because he's the aggressor in the tank. Could he have gotten it from nipping at all my other fish?

I do have some Melafix, but will need to go get more on the way home today. My Benga and Cape Maclear's eyes didn't look any better this morning, but hopefully it'll heal soon if I keep doing WC's every day/every other day.

Sound like a good plan?

Sounds perfect. Also he probably got it from someone fighting back. They lock there mouths together, so lips, eyes, gills, face, often get banged up.

Ok, I'll just have to keep a close eye on everyone and make sure my water parameters are all in check.

Do you think it's safe to order fish next week? I just feel like if my stock remains the same, then everything else will just remain the same too.

I don't see why not. It's going to be crazy and upsetting every time you add someone, so might as well just get it over with.
Generally you only want to add two-three at a time during the course of a week.

Ok I will order them next week then. I will most likely put in half, and the other half in my 36g cuz I just can't see 8 3-4" cichlids in a 36g, even if it's only temporary. And the 36g will only have a AC70 HOB so I don't want to leave them in an underfiltered tank for long either. I guess I could do daily WC though. Thoughts?

Id put all 8 in the 36 and do daily water changes. Then move them over one by one, judging by who looks the best.
You'd want to put some decor in there so they can hide. Generally you can clear a fish of illness in a week or so.
You just don't want to infect your whole tank. And it's cheaper to treat 36g than 75.
Also don't add their water. Id fill up a bucket, dump the fish in the bucket, and then net him into your tank. You don't want to pour that other water in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom