How long should a small (65 gal) pond take to cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuLu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi pond peeps! :wave: A pond newbie here, BUT... I've been goin at it since early April, and STILL HAVE NOT CYCLED. Granted... the entire set up was all BRAND NEW, but sheeesh... Was originally fish-in cycling, but I've since removed them and have been fishless cycling since mid May.

I'm stuck somewhere near the end. (I think :huh:)
Nitrites 5.
Nitrates 20.

It's taking a little over 2 days (I've been testing each morning and evening) for the ammonia to drop from 5 to *almost* 0... I've been stuck *here* (with green water no less! LOL) for the last 2 weeks. Both nitrites and nitrates have been S.L.O.W.L.Y. rising and then sometimes not moving at all for WEEKS. It doesn't feel like I'm every gonna get to NO NITRITES, NO AMMONIA.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Last edited:
I'm not an expert like some of these guys, but have been at it for about 1 1/2 yrs. Started with a 300 shell, now have a 900 gallon in ground. I am recovering from a crash that killed a few of my bigger Koi.. so I can share some info. Don't overstock, if u have 1 or 5 too many fish, like me lol, you need to concentrate on Filtration, look up biofilters, and how to make your own. Stack it good with bioballs, lava rock, then top it with pads. Stir up the bottom of your pond so your pump will start distributing bacteria in the filter. It shouldn't take long, id say a few weeks, to build up your bacteria levels to start effectively filtering out the ammonia and nitrates. Be sure to research it, it does require maintenance, but not much.... also, weekly water changes, like 20% or so.. hope this helps....

In my filter box I already had: a bag of media from the aquarium store, 30 Bio Balls, and a bag of batting wrapped directed around the pump. I added almost 36 oz. of clay Bio Rings today. if that doesn't give the BB enough growing room, I dunno what else to do cause honestly... I can't fit one more thing in that box. Almost couldn't get the lid screwed back on!

Guess I'll keep playing the waiting game... but my goldies are probably as anxious to get out of the indoor tank and back into their spacious pond, as I am to quit doing water changes on their tank! :)

Thanks for your input!
~Lu

Back
Top Bottom