How Man Watts Per Gal. Do I really need? Is there too Much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

Currently i have a 55g Glass Aquarium, with 2 56w T5 (Not T5 HO) bulbs. One 10,000k, one Atinic.

I am looking to upgrade my lighting for future reef expantion.

I found a place I can get a Coralife Aqualight Pro 48" light, that uses 2-150watt HQI's, and 2 96watt Atinic PC's, for $443.00 shipped.

Or I can get a Jebo 2-175watt HQI's, and 2-T5 54watt Atinic for $358 shipped from eBay.

The Coralife would give me 8.94 watts per gal., and the Jebo would give me 8.32 watts per gal.

I know the Coralife has a much (The best) name in Aquarium lighting, and Jebo has had on and off reviews. the Current T5 light I have is a jebo, and I haven't had any problems with it.

Also I believe the Aqualight Pro is a deal, every online retailer I could find from google listed this light for well over $600+.

Is there a such thing as too much light? I don't want to make the fish/inverts unhappy due to super bright lights!?

At the current time, I don't know what I will be adding to the tank, but I'd like to be able to add almost anything I might see (Assuming its safe to add with what ever is in the tank at the time).

Also I am worried about Heat. I do not want to have to worry about a chiller, or having the tank over heat. Is this a concern with either of these lights? At what point does heat become a problem? My room temp is always between 65-75 degrees, year around.

Thanks for the help.

-TheChad

I believe inverts, as in corals and such, you can move around the depending on their specific needs, such as low/medium/high lights and the same with flow. As for heat, you can always blow a fan across the top of the tank, in order to keep the heat down.

Or you could think about 4x96 PCs. That'll give you about 6w per. But I'd guess the tank depth can be an issue.

If you're not thinking hard/SPS and other high light needy ones, maybe you'll be alright with the PCs. Those MH will give you a temp swing upwards for sure. You'll also evap a WHOLE lot more than you're used to now.

What kinda coral excites you? PCs may do fine.

Ray does ask an important question here. What type of corals are you planning on? If you`re not sure you might want to go with the MH to make sure your covered.

I don't have any speciffic corals in mind. Currently I am consintrating on getting the tank stocked with fish first. Then I will move on to corals & Anemones.

I do know that I'd like to house a blue carpet anemone, which I understand to be a high light requirement.

Does that Coralife aqualight Pro sound like a deal to anyone else?

thanks,

-TheChad

if you are going to go with an anemone the MH is a must. i currently have a touch over 8 wpg on my 75g and i dont think its too much. i keep SPS and an anemone as well as other soft and LPS corals.

steve r

Steve R - how much water are you losing daily?

Does that Coralife aqualight Pro sound like a deal to anyone else?
Maybe, but I'm still concerned about overkill if you don't really need that much. Don't forget the heat issue. I got those lights w/3x150 MH and 4x96 actinic, and the tank heat increases by 3-4 degrees if there are no fans. Then again, mine is retrofitted in a hood.

Considered T-5's? I have no xperience w/them, but I've heard plenty folks like'm.

Those fixtures are nice, but dont forget the retro fit route....

www.illuming.com Some great deals on retros. 1/4 of what you were looking at spending!

Get a computer fan and your heat issues will be taken care of for the most part. You could ditch the actinic PCs and go with 14 or 20k if you want more blue. Just get a 20W 50/50 mini aqualight to simulate sunrise and sunset.

I would say as long as you are under 10 WPG you will be fine...but WPG isnt as important as lumens.

Just buy halide now, you will regret spending money on anything else before. You will want to keep high light animals eventually no matter what.

in the summer i lose about 2 gallons a day. i dont run an air conditoner in my house and i can keep the tank below 82 in the summer. in the winter 1 gallon or less per day.

just as a note. one computer fan will most likley not cut it. i have 2 computer fans mounted on the reflector ( one by each bulb ) drawing air out. 2 mounted on the center brace blowing on the water. 2 4" fans one either side of the canopy ( inside ) and one 4" fan blowing striaght down on my sump when needed. all these fans will keep me below 82 when it is up to about 90 degrees outside ( 80 something in my house ). in the winter i use just the 4 computer fans. almost forgot. i also have two computer fans drawing air off the ballasts which are mounted in my stand. these turn on the same timer as the MH and keep the ballast very cool.

my actinic supplement are 2 x 54 watt T5. prety cool light. i cant find a good deal on replacements though and there are not many choices in K and spectrum yet

steve r

Back
Top Bottom