How Many Cat Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrnitz9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How many cat fish should one have for a 55 gallon tank with 15-18 community fish. I have one Pleco that is about 2 inches. Is that enough? The tank is a few months old and, except for a bacteria bloom which we are in the middle of because of any extensive power outage, seems to be fully cycled.

What kind of pleco - dwarf or common?
Enough for what? Total algae control? - I'd say not ... but then If you are looking at commons, that 2" will get to be 12" or more ... so adding more is not the solution.

Its a dwarf. I was just wondering if I should get another catfish to keep the bottom clean.

I keep a rubberlip pleco in with 18 corydoras and 2 SAE's in a 55.
there are atleast double what other fish are in the tank
a dozen angels(yes got other tanks ready for them when they pair off)
36+ neons and cardinals
25+ pangio oblongas
4 black neons

catfish do more harm then good especially corydoras, they clean 3x as must as they poop. I have heavy filtration on my tank though, thats part of the success.

Plecos, or any catfish for that matter, won't keep the bottom of the tank clean. You'll need to vacuum the tank regularly to keep it clean. I have sand substrate and my cats stir it around for me, but they're not janitors. It's a common misconception. I've actually heard of people who think a pleco is a substitute for a filter.

Back
Top Bottom