How many is to many, in a 55g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WendiDell

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, everything is going great in my 55g Mbuna tank, and has been for a while now
I have 13 Mbunas and 1 BN Pleco. My female Kenyi had 15 Fry 24 days ago (hybrid). I have an Electric Yellow and a White Lab about to have more Fry (not Hybrid). I'm not keeping any of the Fry.

I just recently bought 2 Green Dragon BN Plecos, that as soon as they grow a bit bigger, will be in with the Mbunas, which makes 16 total.
I would like to add a few more (2-3) female Mbunas, but I'm worried it may overstock my tank.
I'm seriously over filtered, so that's not a problem. As far as filtering goes I could have 30 fish and still be understocked. But I know Mbunas need space to call their own.
But, I really do need more female Mbuna in the tank to get a better M:F ratio.
Right now I have 2 Mbuna that I don't know what they are or even if they are male or female.
One of them may be a male Kenyi. When we bought it 6 months ago, it looked like a small Cobalt Blue Zebra. But 4-5 weeks ago it started to turn yellow underneath the blue. Now it's not blue, but it's not yellow either, it's a swirl of both, making any kind of an ID difficult.
The other I've posted a couple of times to get an ID, without success. No one else can tell me what it is either, only guesses.
If necessary I could trade those 2 in for the 2-3 Female Mbunas that I need, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. I kind of like them because they are so different.
Bottom line, would 16 Mbunas and 3 BN Plecos be to many for a very well filtered 55g tank?

i think your fine adding more,people crowd mbuna tanks on purpose,to tone down aggression.

Right now I have 2 Mbuna that I don't know what they are or even if they are male or female.
One of them may be a male Kenyi. When we bought it 6 months ago, it looked like a small Cobalt Blue Zebra. But 4-5 weeks ago it started to turn yellow underneath the blue. Now it's not blue, but it's not yellow either, it's a swirl of both, making any kind of an ID difficult.

Im not 100% sure here and someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe this is a male kenyi, he just retains some of the female coloring because he is not the dominant male in the tank.

I believe that adding 2 more females you will be ok, based in the over filtration, the size of the tank, and assuming that the tank's set up is full of rocks and hiding places.

Last edited by a moderator:
All-

The off topic, flaming, rude, derogatory, and irrelevant posts have been deleted. Keep this thread on topic, and relavent. Any further personal attacks, off topic posting, or any violations of our community rules will result in this thread being locked and infractions issued to those who continue this behavior.

Bottom line, would 16 Mbunas and 3 BN Plecos be to many for a very well filtered 55g tank?

No it's possible, but will depend on the personallity of the fish. Mbuna can get increasingly aggresssive overtime with age, so heirarchy can change frequently. I think three BN is a little much, they are filthy little buggers.

You should be fine with that number of fish in a 55 provided you keep up with maintenance and water changes. Last February I cleared out a 55 that I had grown out a brood of cutteri (CA cichlids) in that had spawned last August. The average size of the fish was 4", and I took out 80 of them, all fine and healthy. The tank also houses a dozen or so BN and a group of 7 Synodontis lucipinnis catfish. Filtration is 2 aquaclear 70 hob's and an air-driven hydrosponge filter to help collect debris.

Back
Top Bottom