How many neon tetras in 29gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marsh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a male betta in a cycled planted 29-gallon, no other fish. The only fish I want to add are neon tetras, and possibly ghost shrimp.

What would be a healthy maximum for a school?

And are ghost shrimp going to add significantly to the bioload? Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

What is the tank like? Is it long/rectangle? Or more tall/square?

Long would be a lot better for the neons but you could still have enough for a small shoal. IME

And shrimp have a very small bio load compared to fish :)

What is the tank like? Is it long/rectangle? Or more tall/square?

Long would be a lot better for the neons but you could still have enough for a small shoal. IME

And shrimp have a very small bio load compared to fish :)

good point, the tank is 30L x 12W x 18H.

I like the idea of have lots of shrimp too, are there any other types besides ghost shrimp that could coexist with a betta?

I would say you could have 10-15 neons if you have a good filter.

Shrimps are a bit hit n miss with a Betta, depends a lot on the fish's personality. I had amano shrimp with mine and never had any problems, but I tried tiger shrimp and they was gone in a couple of days so I would stick with the larger shrimp.

Good luck.

Thanks, that seems like a pretty nice size school! I used to love neons when I was little.

They don't reproduce on their own like guppies do, right? (those are called live-bearers I believe, still learning)

I am ordering a tetra whisper40i, because I like the simplicity of the 10i I have now. I bought a Tom Rapids mini canister filter first off based on a recommendation, but it leaked right off the bat so I returned it.

My betta dislikes strong current and gets stripes with even the 10i, so I wrapped a piece of cotton around the intake and little hole in the back, which slowed it down.

I wonder if the 40i would produce a really strong current that, if baffled, would be insufficient to filter the bio-load of 10 neon tetras and my betta? I also plan to have many low light plants on a fluorescent timer, and to do a fishles cycle with ammonia beforehand.

marsh said:
Thanks, that seems like a pretty nice size school! I used to love neons when I was little.

They don't reproduce on their own like guppies do, right? (those are called live-bearers I believe, still learning)

I am ordering a tetra whisper40i, because I like the simplicity of the 10i I have now. I bought a Tom Rapids mini canister filter first off based on a recommendation, but it leaked right off the bat so I returned it.

My betta dislikes strong current and gets stripes with even the 10i, so I wrapped a piece of cotton around the intake and little hole in the back, which slowed it down.

I wonder if the 40i would produce a really strong current that, if baffled, would be insufficient to filter the bio-load of 10 neon tetras and my betta? I also plan to have many low light plants on a fluorescent timer, and to do a fishles cycle with ammonia beforehand.

I have never had them reproduce and they wouldn't survive long if they did so that wouldn't be a problem.

I have never used that filter but bettas and neons don't produce a huge amount of poop so the filter doesn't need to deal with much solid wast, as long as it still turns over the volume of the tank a couple of times an hour it will be fine and plants help too.

As for the fish less cycle, I don't have any advice for that because I have never done it, I am getting a new tank around Christmas and I will be doing my 1st fish less cycle on that :)

Good luck with you tank

My Neons school by each of them swimming in a circular pattern in my 55G. I have several Cherry Shrimp with Neons and they ignore each other. Both Shrimp and Neons need lots of plants to feel safe. Remember that a large Shrimp could easily feed on a small Tetra.

I'm new to the aquarium game, but I do have a suggestion for the filter. My betta was terribly unhappy with the current in my 15 gallon, so I got a pre-filter sponge thing to put on the intake and used a solo cup slit down the middle with the bottom cut off to slow the flow from the outlet.

Nice, I will probably order a couple cherry and/or Amano shrimp plus 15-25 neons. Should I let my Betta in the tank first or the new fish in terms of territory/aggression?

I can quarantine them too, I will do a search about it when I finalize my order.

Looking at the whisper40i I think the SOLO cup idea will be perfect.

Back
Top Bottom