How many otos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well established planted 16g, lots of algae, CPDs and pygmy cories....how many otos would you add?

I would say none, I believe they have a 30 gallon min. I may be wrong, I keep two in my 30 gallon doing 40 % water changes two times a week.

Shep

I would say none, I believe they have a 30 gallon min. I may be wrong, I keep two in my 30 gallon doing 40 % water changes two times a week.

Just out of curiosity are the two active? I've always heard they like to be in groups.

I had 4 but two didn't make the month as most don't. Mine are extremely active. They never stop working for me. I have a highly planted tank though and very peaceful fish. So they really just do their thing.

Shep

That's nice. I kept a trio years ago, liked them a lot.

Alright I want and looked, and i read it's a 20 gal min. So I would say if you keep up with water changes and keep the water perfect you will be fine. I always put mine in quarantine though for a little while. They tend to be a little sickly at first.
*went

Shep

You could add 2. In my experience I always lose one when I add 2. I've had 6 and lost 4 in the past 6mos. Don't clean the glass sides just the front. If you wipe down the algae they will starve to death. Once algae is more or less clean you need to supplement with boiled zucchini, spinach, cucumbers and or repashy gel mix. I've never had any luck getting them to eat anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, there's definitely a lot of algae in the tank!

One seller only has 2 available so I'm going to order them. I have another source who will be getting more in stock at the end of the month, just in case something happens to one or both.

I thought about a place but I want something similar in size to what is already in the tank.

I had 4 in my 10g, but it is HEAVILY planted. Weekly 50%PWCs and thec
Otos were the biggest fish.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420881873.960404.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420881908.327119.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420881952.883627.jpg

I rarely lose Otos. I have good luck with mine. I'll lose an occasional one in the first 2 weeks, due to the way they are treated. My last four lived years. Lost them due to me being ill and injured and not doing any water changes for quite awhile.

Buy 3. Single Otos tend to waste away.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, there's definitely a lot of algae in the tank!

One seller only has 2 available so I'm going to order them. I have another source who will be getting more in stock at the end of the month, just in case something happens to one or both.

If you can't find any I can get some from my lfs for you. They are always in stock.

Shep

If you can't find any I can get some from my lfs for you. They are always in stock.

Thank you!

The spouse ended up taking me to the lfs today and they had a tankful so I picked up a trio!

Attachments

• Jan 10 2015 otos.jpg
    Jan 10 2015 otos.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 66
I've had 1 oto for 2 years and he's very happy in his 55 gallon. The other fish are scared of him lol. He blends in so well with his surroundings that we play where's Waldo.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've had 1 oto for 2 years and he's very happy in his 55 gallon. The other fish are scared of him lol. He blends in so well with his surroundings that we play where's Waldo.

Yup, found myself playing that already!

How are they doing?

How are they doing?

Lost one unfortunately but I'm not overly surprised :(

The other two are very busy. I'm so glad I went with them instead of a plec because even these guys look huge with the pygmy cories!

I originally purchased 3, 2 eventually died. But I've like I said have had the last of the trio for 2 years. They are awesome cleaners. Mine keeps my bubble wand clean all the time.

I originally purchased 3, 2 eventually died. But I've like I said have had the last of the trio for 2 years. They are awesome cleaners. Mine keeps my bubble wand clean all the time.

That's good to know! I'm rather confident about these two, quite healthy looking!

Back
Top Bottom