How many rasboras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29 gallon planted tank with 2 HOB filters (aqueon quiet flow 20 and aquaclear 50). I do weekly water changes around 40% or so.

I currently have 12 neons and 9 habrosus corydoras. I am wanting to add two more nano fish and have decided on green rasboras and chile (mosquito) rasboras.

My question is regarding minimum school size. I have read anywhere from 6-10 from various sources. Aqadvisor says I have plenty more stocking room, but I don't want to push it. I also don't want to just get a minimum number and have skittish fish.

So, I am looking for opinions on "school size" for these rasbora species within my tank parameters.

Yeah, I have checked and aqadvisor says I could stock 12 of each and be at 101% capacity. However, I would rather not push the limit as I am a beginner. My question more involves what will be a minimum number of each species that will keep them comfortable/happy. Again, I have seen 6 listed as a minimum number, but I wanted some opinions from the experts on this forum.

Wow. I have 12 neon tetras; didn't know the odd number recommendation. What is the logic behind this?

Also, I have 9 corydoras. Are you saying I need to unload 3 of them?

Schooling fish do not need to be kept in odd numbers. That rule is more for loaches that have aggressive tendencies. I think 12 of each would be fine:) especially because mosquito and green rasboras are very small and have almost no bioload. If you have any doubts, you could go with 8 or 10 instead of 12. Aquadvisor has a reputation of being pretty conservative, I think stocking up to what it says is 120-130% is perfectly fine if you have good filtration and tank maintenance.
Sounds like you're off to a great start! good luck!

Thank you. I just like how the schooling fish behave and look. I didn't really know what I wanted when I started. Out of my four species (once I acquire my rasboras), the neon tetras will be the big bullies of my tank.

Back
Top Bottom