How many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AssistedDecoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I will be adding water to the tank within the upcoming week and starting the cycle. I have decided Im going to go with peacocks but I will have to do it the less expensive way and buy unsexed fish and cross my fingers. Which leads to my question...

Is there a fish to gallon ratio that I need to be aware of when I begin stocking the tank? I know its better to overstock to keep aggression down but there has to be a limit?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What size tank are we talking?
In my opinion the fish to gallon or inch to gallon rule doesn't work.There are too many variables.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I also don't believe in overstocking.If you have the right mix of fish you don't need to overstock.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Its roughly 240 gallons , 96x24x24 (inches)

Filtration, what percentage water change, how often you do a water change will affect how many fish you have. In my 180 gallon I have two sponge filters, Tetra hang on back filter, eheim canister, and a Fluval G6. 30 percent weekly water change.
Buying juvie peacocks will limit you to one species to avoid not being able to tell females apart causing hybridization.
If you add say six juvie peacocks, along with some hap species you may be better off for variety. Protomelas Spilotonatus Tanzania would look great in a 240. They are peaceful as well for a big fish. Copadichromis Verduyni or Azureus would look good as well.
Good luck and may the fun begin.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Does aulonocara mean peacock? The list I feel seems ok is a few of thoes then, tramitichromis intermedius, labidochromis caeruleus and metracluma greshakei?

The plan?

Attachments

• 1462959455752.jpg
    1462959455752.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 57
Yes Auloncara is the name used for peacock species. Your two jacobfriebergi will pick on the other peacocks. Kandeense do better is a group and do not generally color up in a male set up. The Greshaki are too aggressive. The Intermedius will be fine. You may be okay with the yellow lab.
I still do not recommend buying juvies of all those species of Peacocks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The plan was to buy 5 juveniles and cross fingers maybe get like 2 males? Ill have to look up the others u gave me names for but ill do tonight, i plan on buying 3-5 tomorrow to help cycle the tank faster, just finished filling the tank and will post pictures soon.

Finally filled

Attachments

• 1462965978331.jpg
    1462965978331.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 46
Look for egg spots on the anal fin. That will give you a better chance of getting a male. If you were in Toronto, I could help you out with some juvie males: Auloncara Bi-Color 500, Otopharynx Z-Rocks Lithobates, Mbasi Creek Lethrinops, Auloncara Masoni, Placidochromis Jalo Reef, and Protomelas Tangerine Tiger.

Vegas, using trop aquarium as my local store but i plan on looking up everything I can on every fish before I make a purchase. I definitely appreciate all advice given.

Look for egg spots on the anal fin. That will give you a better chance of getting a male. If you were in Toronto, I could help you out with some juvie males: Auloncara Bi-Color 500, Otopharynx Z-Rocks Lithobates, Mbasi Creek Lethrinops, Auloncara Masoni, Placidochromis Jalo Reef, and Protomelas Tangerine Tiger.

Can't say for sure on peacocks, as they may be a bit different, but with most African's I've ever kept that is a myth. Females are just as likely to have egg spots as males.

Good news! The local store only orders male peacocks!! So it works out perfectly

Back
Top Bottom