How much gravel do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saradomin

Aquarium Advice Regular
How much gravel would be ideal for fish like Oscars, Convicts, Parrots, Jacks, and etc.? Some say 2 inches is the best. What is your opinion on this?

I'm getting fine gravel, if that really matters.

It probably wont matter they most likely wont leave it in one place any way. My hybrid clears the center of the tank and piles it 8" high on the sides overnight.

I just want enough gravel for aesthetics without taking up too much space in the aquarium. How does 2 inches sound to you?

Here is a quick video of my hybrid. as you can see the substrate and plants wont stay where you put them. He moves a mouth full of gravel in the video and it was all level yesterday after the water change. also the plants floating at the top were pulled out 30 min after I put them back.

Here is a quick video of my hybrid. as you can see the substrate and plants wont stay where you put them. He moves a mouth full of gravel in the video and it was all level yesterday after the water change. also the plants floating at the top were pulled out 30 min after I put them back.

Thats video is nuts!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

2" will work fine.

I would probably do a little less than that just to make it less work vacuuming but that is just a personal preference.

I have just barely enough pea gravel sized substrate to cover the bottom glass for my Dempseys. I'd say it's about 1/2". My largest one likes to dig craters around the tank, so it doesn't really matter.

Back
Top Bottom