How much more $$

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm running a heavily planted tank with dry ferts and pressurized co2..... How much more expensive is it to maintain a saltwater tank than it is to maintain a planted tank

Depends on what you plan on doing and what you classify as expensive.

With Saltwater the sky is the limit so it is hard to put a price on it. it just depends on how much you want to invest and how easy you want it to be

I'm still in the process of setting up my nano reef. With me having a good source of used equipment and low price fish it's really not bad at all to keep a saltwater aquarium. The only issue is with the high entry cost. Live rock will burn an unimaginably large hole in your pocket, I payed up to $7/lb for my fully cured live rock. Salt isn't terribly expensive either figuring you want a 10% - 20% at most water change weekly. But maintenance fees go up HUGE when you go for a larger tank. With my 20g I will be going through about $2 a week in salt.. if that. Then $7 per pack of frozen food which will probably last me 4 weeks once I get my tank stocked up. Really the big expenses aside from live rock come when you decide to go high tech with the saltwater setup to make your life a little easier.

Back
Top Bottom