How much sand? New 55 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got the topfin 55 gal starter kit and I want to use a sand bottom instead of gravel. I was wondering what is the best sand to use, as far as the size and color, and also how much sand do I need for a 55 gallon.

Also, I have 13 glofish, 3 ottos, 1 medium pleco, 2 angelfish, and some red cherry shrimp. Any thoughts on some new fish to go with these?

The tank came with a big filter and I was going to put some filter media in it and then also use two aquaclear 30's that are already cycled. I think this will be enough filtration until I can get a AC 110 or 70

Depends what you're looking for in your tank. Whatever you decide on, you'll probably need around 60lbs of it. Size and colour is completely your own choice.

I can't really comment on the rest, although I'd expect that if you're using the filter that came with it plus two more, you should be more than fine.

I like that pool filter sand it looks good but there was this kind someone had in a cichlid tank that was dark, almost black. I can't remember the name but it had the word moon in it.

And how do you go about cleaning the sand before putting it in the tank? Or do you not have to do that with sand?

that was dark, almost black

Less than 10 dollars
155472_2000x2000.jpg

You can wash sand by putting it in a bucket, fill the bucket with water and move the sand around in the bucket with your hand. Do this in small quantities at a time, you may have to do it multiple times for each bucket load.

I like that pool filter sand it looks good but there was this kind someone had in a cichlid tank that was dark, almost black. I can't remember the name but it had the word moon in it.

And how do you go about cleaning the sand before putting it in the tank? Or do you not have to do that with sand?

I think your talking about Tahitan moon sand

Less than 10 dollars
155472_2000x2000.jpg

That's the sand I have in my 56 gallon column tank. Super easy to clean and settles super fast. Even if you put ur hand in it and spread it around its almost immediately falls back down

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ok. Where would i get that black diamond sand from? And who sales the tahitan moon sand?

That black diamond sand is 100% safe? You can get it at tractor supply? What about mixing a little pool filter sand into the black sand?

Can you make the black diamond sand look wavy in the tanks or just stays flat?

Any one got any pics of black diamond sand in their tanks?

i have sand in my 10 gal, it is wavy alright but the snails constantly rearrange the exact shape those waves follow :) not sure about exact brand of the sand. tank is with white background

IMG_20131025_113831-vi.jpg

Back
Top Bottom