How often do you vacuum - can there be too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm curious how often should I be vacuuming my gravel? I am vacuuming once a week, as my partial water changes which end up being about 40%. There is a fair amount of waste removed. Am I better off doing plain water changes and vacuuming once every month or every two weeks?

20 gallon
5 julii cories (or false) recently added 3 a few days ago
2 platy
1 dalmation Molly
1 male guppy
3 bleeding heart tetras

Am 0
N2 0
N3 15-20 (seems to be my constant levels)
Ph 8.2
79 farhenheit

The readings have not changed since the additions of the 3 new cories, but will do a change anyway to avoid a mini cycle

Established tank since late Feb.

I never vacuum the gravel because my tank is planted.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Vacuuming Bottom Material

Hello Nov...

The organic material that falls to the bottom of the tank is constantly dissolving in the tank water. So, just change the tank water regularly and you won't need to worry about vacuuming.

B

novi's tank is not planted. in that situation, i will vacuum one small section of the substrate...next water change, another. never a large area. that's just me though and i am interested in hearing other peoples' methods.

Considering your tank is not planted, the way you have been doing it is perfectly fine, desirable in fact. By regular vacuuming you are precluding the build up of excess mulm and detritus in the substrate which over time can cause ph crashes and other issues, as well as keeping the substrate from compacting and developing spots of anaerobic bacteria from forming.
If you had a heavily planted tank then you would not need to worry about it as much and only need to remove surface junk to keep it looking clean.

novi's tank is not planted. in that situation, i will vacuum one small section of the substrate...next water change, another. never a large area. that's just me though and i am interested in hearing other peoples' methods.

If a person is using an undergravel filter as the primary means of biological filtration, than the method of rotating sections is the best way. If not using an undergravel it shouldn't make that much of a difference in terms of water chemistry.

I just vacuum every water change (every week or so).

It feels pointless just sucking out water when I can see filth all over the place.

If a person is using an undergravel filter as the primary means of biological filtration, than the method of rotating sections is the best way. If not using an undergravel it shouldn't make that much of a difference in terms of water chemistry.

Mine is an HOB filter.

I've read about 1/3 of the gravel should be vacuumed each time you do a water change. Before we switched to sand our gravel seemed like it got so gross. Bleh.

Vacuum please! With sand you might not need it as often but the courser the gravel the worse it gets in there. Uneaten food and poop gets trapped in between creating a nasty mulm.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I do 50%-60% PWC twice a week in my tank and I vacuum the full tank bottom each time and I have never had any problems because of this.

There are a few times I've gone a week between changes and I couldn't imagine going any longer than that without vacuuming the bottom.

BTW, I change that much water because I have discus in my tank.

Anyway, just thought I'd share what works for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I vacuum the full bottom weekly with 50% water change. Once a month I move everything to get what's under it.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do 50%-60% PWC twice a week in my tank and I vacuum the full tank bottom each time and I have never had any problems because of this.

There are a few times I've gone a week between changes and I couldn't imagine going any longer than that without vacuuming the bottom.

BTW, I change that much water because I have discus in my tank.

Anyway, just thought I'd share what works for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have Discus also.

I have bare bottom.

I do 50-75% WC's every other day and 100% on weekends.

On every other WC, I vacuum because of this. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412298924.781889.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Hello Nov...

The organic material that falls to the bottom of the tank is constantly dissolving in the tank water. So, just change the tank water regularly and you won't need to worry about vacuuming.

B

Disagree totally in a non-planted tank. When fish waste dissolves it creates nitrates. The idea behind vacuuming the gravel is to remove the waste before the bb turns it into nitrates. I have fake plants and do weekly vacuums of the gravel along with weekly 20% water changes.

{I can't use 100% cheap tap and a Python like most of you due to poor tap water quality so hauling water is a pain and the cost of bottled water costs $$$.]

If I didn't vacuum the gravel my nitrates would go out the roof.

My tank is heavily planted, really heavily. I have MTS (lots) and RCS (more than lots). The action of the plants, MTS & RCS means I don't vacuum ever.
My QT is bare bottoms and I vacuum every WC.
My previous tank had gravel, fake plants, no MT or RCS and I vacuumed 50% of the gravel on alternate WCs.
Go with your gut feeling and if your regime is not effective then just modify it.

Considering your tank is not planted, the way you have been doing it is perfectly fine, desirable in fact. By regular vacuuming you are precluding the build up of excess mulm and detritus in the substrate

Vacuum please! With sand you might not need it as often but the courser the gravel the worse it gets in there. Uneaten food and poop gets trapped in between creating a nasty mulm.
Yep....the more you vacuum the better.

I've read about 1/3 of the gravel should be vacuumed each time you do a water change.
I believe this is advice based on using under gravel filters where the gravel is essentially your bio-media. If not using a UGF there should be no reason to not do this.

Back
Top Bottom