How Often Should One Gravel Vac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if you're keeping messy Cichlids like Malawi's i would say gravel vac everytime you do a water change.. Malawi's like the water to be changed, ideally close to 40% everyday as in their natural habitat, but realistically its just not possible in an aquarium setup, i try to change 20% every 2 days, which is similar to yourself, I gravel vac every second time, so every 4 days, so for your ritual i would say everytime you do a PWC, i also add the required amount of reef buffer salt, to keep the water im putting into the tank, at the same alkaline ph as the water already in there.. however without knowing what your tank size is, what filter you have, the ph of your tap water, and what fish you're keeping, i couldnt say whether you should add salt, or whether your ritual is suitable, but certainly changing 50% every 4-6 days should be fine unless incredibly overstocked to reduce aggression..

If you are doing a PWC you might as well keep your substrate clean. It is a lot easier to keep clean than to wait and clean up a nightmare. It can't hurt anything either.

bcurlacher54 said:
i change water and vac every saturday morning.

Once a week really wouldn't be enough for me, with keeping Malawi's and the fact the nitrification process produces Nitrates, which naturally, lower ph, in order to keep my nitrates down, and my ph a stable 8.2, I try to change water regularly, ie every 2 days, which keeps the water as close to in nature as I can physically accomplish...

Luckily my well water parametrrs are perfect for Malawi Cichlids right out of the tap, so I don't need to condition my water at all. I guess ill keep my regular 4-6 day 50%PWC w/gravel vac routine. Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom