How stocked is your tank using AqAdvisor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the fish I keep footprint is far more important than gals

People always as is a 150 or other sizes large enough for rays
If the tank is very with but only 8" tall then yes it may be large enough
But if it's very tall but only 8" wide then no it's to small

This is why have always said you can't go on any chart app or rule when stocking a tank as many factors come into play only the owner know if it's overstocked by looking at it and doing water tests

No one has the right to say a tank is overstocked or not fish keeping is a learning game we lean from our time in the hobby and with people flaming people all the time I don't feel it helps

This wasn't all directed at you just the footprint comment

Footprint directly means the length and width of an aquarium but has no bearing on the height. I.e. a 75g aquarium and a 90g aquarium have the same footprint. Both are 4ft long and 18in. Wide. Subsequently their stocking levels are the exact same on aqadvisor.

Aqadvisor uses a general rule of thumb to give points to fish based on their size and approximate bio load as well as number of different species and gives a percentage of how full the tank is. It's about as good a system as can be expected.

Footprint directly means the length and width of an aquarium but has no bearing on the height. I.e. a 75g aquarium and a 90g aquarium have the same footprint. Both are 4ft long and 18in. Wide. Subsequently their stocking levels are the exact same on aqadvisor.

Aqadvisor uses a general rule of thumb to give points to fish based on their size and approximate bio load as well as number of different species and gives a percentage of how full the tank is. It's about as good a system as can be expected.

Not true you are just stating the standard size tanks you get in the US

It's so cheap to get a custom made tank that you can have any footprint you want in a 90gal it could be 1" tall for all we know

It can be 25" wide or 49.5" long why do certain gal tanks have to be a certain size

You can get a 31" long x 15.5" x 13" made for as little as £25 in the UK as I have done it a few times as Burger King say you can have it your way

It's not true to say 2 tanks with the same footprint but different heights and diffrent water volume can only house the same amount of fish as you can fit in more fish at different levels in a taller tank

I brake my tank up into 3 levels top middle and bottom if my tank was taller I would add more mid water fish as the height wouldn't affect to top or bottom stocking

I didn't know what AqAdvisor was until I saw this thread. I tried to use it but there's no advice for people who use Chinese filters, only for people who use American filters made in China

Oh well :)

MeCasa, which filter do you have? Most of the Chinese filters are rebrands of locally distributed equipment. Like the Pingkay is the same as the SunSun is the same as the Aquatop...

65g, SunSun HW304-B
18 Neon tetras
8 dwarf gourami
~15 various danios

124% filtration, 84% stocked

MeCasa, which filter do you have? Most of the Chinese filters are rebrands of locally distributed equipment. Like the Pingkay is the same as the SunSun is the same as the Aquatop...

65g, SunSun HW304-B
18 Neon tetras
8 dwarf gourami
~15 various danios

124% filtration, 84% stocked
Thanks, I really would like to try it ;-)

ODYSSEA 500 & ODYSSEA 700

4 ghost shrimp, 2 apple snails, one male betta in a 5.5 gallon....

112% stocking level

171% filtration capacity

Not true you are just stating the standard size tanks you get in the US

It's so cheap to get a custom made tank that you can have any footprint you want in a 90gal it could be 1" tall for all we know

It can be 25" wide or 49.5" long why do certain gal tanks have to be a certain size

You can get a 31" long x 15.5" x 13" made for as little as £25 in the UK as I have done it a few times as Burger King say you can have it your way

It's not true to say 2 tanks with the same footprint but different heights and diffrent water volume can only house the same amount of fish as you can fit in more fish at different levels in a taller tank

I brake my tank up into 3 levels top middle and bottom if my tank was taller I would add more mid water fish as the height wouldn't affect to top or bottom stocking

Of course I'm using standard tank sizes as examples for stocking since its what 99.9% of people have. Very very very few people have custom tanks so using custom tank dimensions to try to describe rules of thumb would be absurd.

Based on your argument a 56g column tank which is approx 18" x 18" at the base can house the same bio load of fish as a standard 55g tank which is 4 ft x 1 ft. Not true. The very very very important thing you are completely ignoring is oxygen exchange. I have yet to find a single seasoned aquarist that will say a column / hex tank can support the same number of fish as a rectangle shaped tank for that very reason. This is where aqadvisor's stance of fish size comes into play. Larger fish require more oxygen so take up more of the tanks stocking.

you can fit in more fish at different levels in a taller tank

Unless you're keeping seahorses, which I doubt many people hanging out in the freshwater section are, your fish primarily swim horizontally - not vertically. Taller tanks of the same volume do not allow for more stocking, they do quite the opposite IMO. Taller tank of the same volume = less horizontal swimming space = less room for stocking.

Now, if you heighten a tank with a given footprint, and actually increase the tank's volume, then yes you would be able to stock more. However, you would be able to stock more if you increased the tanks length or width too - so that point is kind of moot. Bottom line, I think most people value length and width over height because those are the dimensions utilized more by the fish.

Last edited:
Of course I'm using standard tank sizes as examples for stocking since its what 99.9% of people have. Very very very few people have custom tanks so using custom tank dimensions to try to describe rules of thumb would be absurd.

Based on your argument a 56g column tank which is approx 18" x 18" at the base can house the same bio load of fish as a standard 55g tank which is 4 ft x 1 ft. Not true. The very very very important thing you are completely ignoring is oxygen exchange. I have yet to find a single seasoned aquarist that will say a column / hex tank can support the same number of fish as a rectangle shaped tank for that very reason. This is where aqadvisor's stance of fish size comes into play. Larger fish require more oxygen so take up more of the tanks stocking.

Well the tank volume if a very important part yes but you said it doesn't matter if a tank with the same dimmentions is taller or not as it will still hold the same amount of fish

Yes footprint is important as a 6x2 would be to small for a ray but a 48x30" would work they have the same volume but different footprint

I don't know why people in the US are so restricted by standard off the shelf tanks when you can buy cheaper custom made
The US is prob 20 x bigger than the UK I don't see why people don't research before they even buy the tank let alone the fish

Setting up a tank isn't all about the fish yes keeping them alive and doing great is just the end result of researching the tank and filters before you start

We don't keep fish we keep water
Bad water = dead fish

This chart is just a gimmic which gives false readings

Well the tank volume if a very important part yes but you said it doesn't matter if a tank with the same dimmentions is taller or not as it will still hold the same amount of fish

Yes footprint is important as a 6x2 would be to small for a ray but a 48x30" would work they have the same volume but different footprint

I don't know why people in the US are so restricted by standard off the shelf tanks when you can buy cheaper custom made
The US is prob 20 x bigger than the UK I don't see why people don't research before they even buy the tank let alone the fish

Setting up a tank isn't all about the fish yes keeping them alive and doing great is just the end result of researching the tank and filters before you start

We don't keep fish we keep water
Bad water = dead fish

As a matter of fact, in USA it's just as expensive if not more expensive to have a custom tank made. Trust me, I've looked into it. The glass alone is just as expensive as a tank. I guess that's the reason why we are soo "restricted" to custom tank sizes. That, and unless you are keeping very particular fish there's absolutely no need to go beyond the standard tank sizes.

I would like to point out that this chartless "gimmic chart" puts your tank at 97% stocking with your superior knowledge on methods of stocking. It must obviously be absolutely wrong in that case. It's also funny to me that you haven't even used the website and are arguing against it.

You're also ignoring my statement about oxygen exchange being the primary driving factor on AQAdvisor. That is one of the main things determining our stocking levels.

Also, what I'm getting from your statements that it doesn't matter how tall the tank is, it can hold the gallonage is the only thing determining how many fish it can hold. Is that right?

Wich all due respect T1K, please start using punctuation and correct spelling. You can easily be misunderstood when people are trying to decipher blocks of text.

There are many standard size tanks that have very good footprints - 40b and 75 to name a couple. I don't think people in the US are 'restricted' perse, but would much rather just buy a standard tank than go to the trouble of building one or having someone else make a custom one.

Not to mention that many people don't even buy tanks new - lots of us save money by buying used tanks off places like craigslist, and good luck finding too many custom tanks on there.

To each his own - however, for many it can be a helpful 'starting point,' especially those newer to the hobby. It is by no means perfect, but it can give people a rough idea of where they are at.

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, in USA it's just as expensive if not more expensive to have a custom tank made. Trust me, I've looked into it. The glass alone is just as expensive as a tank. I guess that's the reason why we are soo "restricted" to custom tank sizes. That, and unless you are keeping very particular fish there's absolutely no need to go beyond the standard tank sizes.

I would like to point out that this chartless "gimmic chart" puts your tank at 97% stocking with your superior knowledge on methods of stocking. It must obviously be absolutely wrong in that case. It's also funny to me that you haven't even used the website and are arguing against it.

You're also ignoring my statement about oxygen exchange being the primary driving factor on AQAdvisor. That is one of the main things determining our stocking levels.

Also, what I'm getting from your statements that it doesn't matter how tall the tank is, it can hold the gallonage is the only thing determining how many fish it can hold. Is that right?

To be fair this chart puts me at 97% is that adult rays or baby rays
If the rays are 1 month old it's 1% stocked if the rays are 6 year old adults then I would even say my tank is overstocked
The stocking level makes people panic but this can be offset by more filteration this chart doesn't take this into account

As for custom made tanks people may have a 25.5" long cabinet they want to put a tank on but can only find a 24" tank surely it's better to spend the extra $20 to get the larger footprint that fits better

You''re still ignoring this. What do you think about these two points?

If the rays are 1 month old it's 1% stocked if the rays are 6 year old adults then I would even say my tank is overstocked
The stocking level makes people panic but this can be offset by more filteration this chart doesn't take this into account

The stocking level is done by adult fish of course, you're supposed to stock fish based on their adult size. However there is a juvenile size option if it means that much.

By this argument, assuming I have enough filtration I could fit 100 cardinal tetras in a 20 gallon / 75 liter tank. Is that correct?

As for custom made tanks people may have a 25.5" long cabinet they want to put a tank on but can only find a 24" tank surely it's better to spend the extra $20 to get the larger footprint that fits better

Aquarium stands are made to fit standard tanks. Why would we have a 25.5" long stand?

From memory it takes filtration into account and uses adult size unless otherwise specified.

On bit of a side note but I've found as a guide it gives a good starting point. Especially for people with gold fish in very small tanks I think they can see what they are up against.

For myself it's fun to muck around with. I think it should round to nearest 10% so people don't think it is so accurate.

There comes a point where the amount of filtration you have is irrelevant, and you simply don't have the space. Good filtration isn't making your tank any bigger. You can't say "I have an oscar in a 20g but I'm running a fluval FX5 so everything's good."

There comes a point where the amount of filtration you have is irrelevant, and you simply don't have the space. Good filtration isn't making your tank any bigger. You can't say "I have an oscar in a 20g but I'm running a fluval FX5 so everything's good."

That's exactly what I've seen with goldfish. It might be out by e.g. 50% but when your filtration system has to be larger than your tank to get everything looking ok...

I think I've complained about this before that one thing the site doesn't do is suggest another fish tank :( IMO it should say 'yep, your stocking really needs another fish tank - show this to family and get down to the lfs'. Just a small flaw I feel.

I have been following this thread and think it's quite funny.. So TK1 I guess we stock our tanks based on Adult size because.. as restricted Americans.. we are unable to just go have another custom tank built to meet the demands of our fish when their fully grown and can't fit in our Standard tanks..?

You''re still ignoring this. What do you think about these two points?

The stocking level is done by adult fish of course, you're supposed to stock fish based on their adult size. However there is a juvenile size option if it means that much.

By this argument, assuming I have enough filtration I could fit 100 cardinal tetras in a 20 gallon / 75 liter tank. Is that correct?

Aquarium stands are made to fit standard tanks. Why would we have a 25.5" long stand?

Your just nitt picking now I meant like a wooden chest or table

Well I know for sure if I had 6 adult fully grown motoro in my tank it would be very very overstocked as motoro can get to 36" disk I to the person who imputed my data to use motoro as it doesn't have my type of ray

Look I'm done with this it's silly

Over filtration DOES allow you to overstock a tank it's done all the time in Asia

You need to open your mind a bit and learn not to go on what a chart tells you is right

Joker

That is a silly point I think that is covered by a person should be able to look at his tank and see it's overstocked
I'm sure I stated that very early on in this thread didn't i

Your just nitt picking now I meant like a wooden chest or table

Well I know for sure if I had 6 adult fully grown motoro in my tank it would be very very overstocked as motoro can get to 36" disk I to the person who imputed my data to use motoro as it doesn't have my type of ray

Look I'm done with this it's silly

Over filtration DOES allow you to overstock a tank it's done all the time in Asia

You need to open your mind a bit and learn not to go on what a chart tells you is right

You're right, I was nit picking. Just like you were when I was explaining how AQAdvisor calculates its stocking level.

I said multiple times it's a great "Rule of thumb" at which point you said multiple times that it's a junk tool.

My mind is perfectly open. In fact for quite a while I kept my tank at 150%. But you have to use the tool within reason. It's the ONLY thing out there that will help people pick a reasonable amount of fish in their tank without all the bureaucratic crap like went on here. No personal opinions, just well justified numbers for suggesting an amount of fish to stock. And having used it for quite a while now it's numbers are VERY reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom