How to keep tetras schooling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkie1025

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a school of 5 BSTs that tend to just hang around all over my 55g instead of the tight schooling that tetras are known for.
I know that no schooling means the fish are happy and relaxed, but IMO that kinda ruins the schooling aesthetic.
Are there any ways I could get the tetras to school tighter without causing them any stress? They're currently in the 55 with 6 Zebra Danios and a Female Betta.

To get fish schooling you have to look at the tank size and the number in the school.
I have 15 cardinals in my quarantine tank and they school all the time. They are new to the tank and have been relocated so are a bit unsure of themselves. But in my 55g display tank the 30 cardinals sort of hang around together but don't swim as one body, which I think you might expect.
Unfortunately, happy fish in a large tank rarely school unless you only have one species and quite a few together.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453068791.480376.jpg
New fish in QT
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453068823.588625.jpg
Fish in main tank. Note that the other tetras don't hang around together.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'd def. up the school number. That may help. But as far as I know, BST don't school as much in an aquarium once their pretty used to it. In my 55, I have 10 cardinals l, 5 neons, and 15 rummynose. The rummynose are new and are commonly a more tight schooling fish, so of course they school like crazy right now. But the neons and cardinals don't school very much...they school a little bit from time to time but are typically just scattered about the tank in search of food. If you really want a tighter school, I'd pick something else like the rummynose or even white cloud minnows (I believe they usually form pretty tight schools, but do some googling to be certain).

This is just based on my observations personally.

I had 6 pristellas in my 29g, they never kind of schooled together much. I added 4 more and they all started schooling, then sometimes split into groups of 5. I think you may just need more numbers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I'm not too sure what gets them to stay tight. When I first got my BST's they followed each other everywhere. But now a few months in they just go wherever. Actually, one of them now schools with my H. Rasboros and they are pretty much always schooled. My neons and glowlights...not so much. Seems to me that I read somewhere that odd numbers school better, but how could they know?!

Not schooling is actually a good thing. It means they are very comfortable and don't feel the need to be protected in a group. I would take it as a good sign.

Caleb

Yea was gonna say the same thing prolly more would hurt

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom