How to lose your hair in 29 gallons.My BC 29 build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NyteGTI said:
Let it go man. once you have 0 ammo & 0 trites. do a BIG WC & get down to 5-10 ppm(may need to do 2 changes) then you're ready to go.

Just wait on it Ryan? I'm so wanting to push this along lol. C'mon you know be by now haha. Will chaeto help in anyway? I ordered the stuff from inTank to make a nice refugium and the upgraded pump too. A few other things I forget.

Just wait on it Ryan? I'm so wanting to push this along lol. C'mon you know be by now haha. Will chaeto help in anyway? I ordered the stuff from inTank to make a nice refugium and the upgraded pump too. A few other things I forget.

How long has the shrimp been in there? you don't need to leave it in there once it's produced a good amount of ammo. what did you spike to? I know you test 3x per day lol

Cheato will eat up your nitrates & phosphates so it will help on the back end with having to do smaller water changes. You should be done by this weekend since you used 100% cured live rock.

At the peak ammonia was at 2.0ppm never got higher.

Ammonia is good now salinity is good and the rest is good, I've been having John test it, but now I had a huge nitrite spike off the chart! I'll have it tested again later and see what I get. The shrimp hmmm... I think I dropped it in the BC in a bio bag on saturday.

Last edited:
if you hit 2ppm go ahead & pull it out. that's all you'll need unless you're going to be adding your entire livestock in one day(fish & full CuC) then you may want to leaveit in another day but I don't reccomend that. Go ahead & take it out when yopu get a chance & toss it in a trashcan OUTSIDE. It's already rotting you don't want that smell in your house for long.

Last edited:
NyteGTI said:
if you hit 2ppm go ahead & pull it out. that's all you'll need unless you're going to be adding your entire livestock in one day(fish & full CuC) then you may want to leaveit in another day but I don't reccomend that. Go ahead & take it out when yopu get a chance & toss it in a trashcan OUTSIDE. It's already rotting you don't want that smell in your house for long.

Ok cool gonna pull it. And no I'm gonna do a fish probably every month till I have my stock. Some CUC guys after the first fish then so on and so on. I've read and been told this is the best way to to it. I'm still debating on another power head also. Still feel like I have a dead spot in the right back corner. 1 more a 240 on the left facing the top right glass will probably do the trick. I've the power head more times then I care to mention lol. And as far as my nitrite spike guess I gotta wait that out as well. Me and John figured it out with the additions yesterday I have roughly 43 pounds of live rock. Some pieces were heavy not huge just heavy.

43 lbs is perfectly fine! The semi rule of thumb is 1.5-2lbs of live rock per gallon. if you think the flow is low, pickup another one you'll always use it for something. I thought my flow was low before I had anything in the tank. then I put my clown in & saw him swimming against the current & playing in the powerhead and realized it's actually pretty high.

NyteGTI said:
43 lbs is perfectly fine! The semi rule of thumb is 1.5-2lbs of live rock per gallon. if you think the flow is low, pickup another one you'll always use it for something. I thought my flow was low before I had anything in the tank. then I put my clown in & saw him swimming against the current & playing in the powerhead and realized it's actually pretty high.

Yeah my thing is I thought and I've read that you should have 1 PH hitting the rocks. A lower PH for that and a stronger PH for current. The lower flow PH would throw debris off the rocks. Am I wrong?

I just use a turkey baster to blow off the rocks once a week an hour before water changes so my circ pump has time to suck it all into the filter floss

Ok I was just at the LFS and the guy said with the maxi jet 1200 I'm gonna blow water out like crazy and have to watch my water level all the time. Is this true? I don't wanna make things more difficult. I've been reading that this is a great upgrade for the nano and a lot of people are doing it. It's in the top 5 for nano upgrades.

Now I'm worried.

Pfft, don't be. Almost everyone that I am aware of, replaces the stock pump on the Biocube. I did even on the Biocube 8 gal that I used to have, and I used a powerhead inside the tank.

x2 the 1200 wont blow stuff around like crazy. maybe for a FW tank but definitely not for a reef. it's normal you're good to go

It came today! Didn't, done! What a difference!! :) glad I did it! Pretty straight forward.

I got the fuge chamber now I'm waiting on the media one and I should be good to go!! Moving on up!!

Ok cool gonna pull it. And no I'm gonna do a fish probably every month till I have my stock. Some CUC guys after the first fish then so on and so on. I've read and been told this is the best way to to it. I'm still debating on another power head also. Still feel like I have a dead spot in the right back corner. 1 more a 240 on the left facing the top right glass will probably do the trick. I've the power head more times then I care to mention lol. And as far as my nitrite spike guess I gotta wait that out as well. Me and John figured it out with the additions yesterday I have roughly 43 pounds of live rock. Some pieces were heavy not huge just heavy.

Hold off on the powerhead till u get corals, alot of corals dont like high flow water. A dead spot wont kill your tank

Ok so heres what I've done. :)

Upgraded to the Maxi Jet 1200 (I know I'm new but you can tell difference. I can see and feel the difference)

Ordered the bio basket,Tunze 900 skimmer with upgrade cup, the water directional and the fish saver. Pretty much the package deal with a few extras.

I'm going to be getting some chaeto from a friend this weekend ;)

Where does it go? In 1 of 3 chambers in the media basket? And what it the fuge for? What do you put in there? Do I get rid of my LR rubble?

Sorry for so many questions. With everything going on in my 75 african tank I went and decided to get a few things for the SW tank while I treat and take care of my Africans :(

So what about it guys/gals? Any suggestions? Oh I have chem pure elite and purigen. Not bad right? I spent a few bucks but in the end I think it will be worth it.

NyteGTI said:
The cheato goes in the fuge. You can put rubble in there with it.

This will be my set up. I bought the tunze skimmer. So I'm gonna have to axe the fuge and just have the media basket.

Now where would you put it? Did u get my text? I answered you.

BTW... You were so right! MJ 1200 is killer.

View attachment 72031

Last edited:
Id put it in the bottom of the media basket. So run filter floss then chemipure then cheato imo.

Oh and no didn't get the text for some reason

NyteGTI said:
Id put it in the bottom of the media basket. So run filter floss then chemipure then cheato imo.

Oh and no didn't get the text for some reason

Gotcha that's what I'll do. Still not ready for fish or anything. Nitrites through the roof!! Ammonia is at 2.0 pH is good at 8.2 and temp is good. So hot in my bedroom I turned the heater off and still have about 74 degrees.

Ok I'll text you again

Back
Top Bottom