How to make a SSB a DSB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Right now I have a SSB (1-2 inches) of live sand in my 10 gallon fuge. My local Walmart has southdown sand and I want to make the SB about 6 inches or so. How can I do this withought nastifiying the tank and covering up all the things that are so good for filtration?

Thanks a ton.

From I hear it basicaly comes down to adding the sand as slowly and gently as possible. Some things I've heard are:
Turn off pumps and powerheads while your're doing it
Use a piece of pvc pipe set down to the sand bed and pour the sand through that rather than directly into the water.

Sorry to say that there really is no way to avoid a large cloud in your tank if you need to add sand. I would add a cup or 2 and let it settle out and then repeat. The PVC works pretty good at minimizing the floating particles but the only thing that really is effective is time. I added to the bottom of my over flow about 2 months ago and I had a cloud for a day and a half. Considering the bottom of the overflow is only 6" X 6" and I only have the sand 4" deep you can imagine the mess you will have if you add all your sand at once. A small, short term cloud will not have a big effect on you inhabitants but I lost a couple of damsels during my main tank sand fill in which I added pretty much all at once. That cloud lasted over a week.

Ok, I am not sure if I want to do it now... Will my corals and fish really be effected?

Ok, I would really like to have some more feedback folks. Will I need to stir up the existing SSB?

You could take the corals out for a couple of hours, put them in a bucket with some low flow. Add your sand and after a couple hours pass, most of the chaos will have settled.

Back
Top Bottom