How to speed up cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marge02144

Aquarium Advice Activist
If i buy some used rock for my 4 week old 37 gallon tank, will it cycle faster?

Any decor from an established / cycled tank would help. Also, filter media and gravel. Pretty much anything except water oddly enough.

Reactions: HN1
marge02144 said:

Throw in a piece of raw shrimp, heard that kick starts your bacteria.

Seeded media is your answer. If you know someone with a healthy established tank see if you can have some sponges out of their filter.

Reactions: HN1
Yeah I had a well established Fluval fx5 that I put onto my new tank and it helped significantly, only took the tank a lil over 3 weeks to cycle :) I've never done the shrimp thing, just something I read depending on what kind of cycle you're doing

Speed Up Cycling

Hello marge...

You can instantly cycle your tank. It isn't easy, but it can be done. Simply take all the media from the same sized tank or larger and put it into your tank. Sounds crazy, but it works. The LFS in your area is a good source.

B

Filter media really does help, I took 3 pieces of bio max and 2 small sponges from my mums tank and it was fully cycled in under a week :D good luck
And my tank is 190L sounds crazy but seriously it worked. I got lucky tho different tanks tank different amount of times

Fake Plants

What if I use fake plants from a variety of old tanks?

If its been in the fish tank water, if it's got a surface area and it's been in the tank for a while then it will hold bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom