How to startup a braksih tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tukie2kie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I saw a fish at a petstore not too long ago and I really wanted to get a few. (BumbleBee Gobies)

I went home to do some research to find that they are brakish fish. Alot of people say that they keep them in freshwater (like the people at the petstore have in the store as well) but I was told that If i really wanted those fish i shoudl set up a small brakish tank.

So how do i do that?

I understand that a brakish tank is a mixutre of salt and freshwater but what other things would i need to create/setup a sucessful brakish tank for bumblebee gobies

also what else could i keep in there with them.

I was thinking of getting a 10 gal with a wisper 10 filter, heater... all the standard stuff I know that I have in my freshwater tank right now, but are there any other items I would need to get to keep a sucessful braksish tank?

You've about hit the nail on the head. Adding salt is all you need to create a brackish water tank. Adding a handful of crushed coral in your filter will keep the pH in the correct range and prevent a pH crash.

A pair of mollies might be a good addition to your gobie tank. With only 10g you don't have too many choices.

I have a 16 gallon brackish tank with 2 bumblebee gobies and lots of guppies. You will need a hydrometer to read the sg and aquarium salt to maintain the sg. My sg is about 1.08.

With bumblebee gobies, they can be picky eaters. Be prepared to buy frozen and live foods for their consumption.

so is it literaly just 1/2 saltwater and 1/2 freshwater?

how do you measure our the waterchanges as well?

I might get a bigger tank for it because Im interested in dwarf puffers as well. Can those coexist with bumblebee gobys?

Tukie2kie said:
so is it literaly just 1/2 saltwater and 1/2 freshwater?

how do you measure our the waterchanges as well?

I might get a bigger tank for it because Im interested in dwarf puffers as well. Can those coexist with bumblebee gobys?
nope, Dwarf puffers are not brackish, they are full on freshwater...LFS tell people they are brackish i know, but they are not... :roll:

how about crustacian type critters.. crabs/snails. Are there any that do well in brakish or does it matter?

i am thinking about doing a similar thing, so useful thread! :D i love those gobies.

to chime into the question-asking - what about plants? i've heard maybe java fern would do ok in a brackish environment?

i don't like mollies, so i guess i'm stuck with a goby species tank.

yea mollies arent to appealing to me either. I know pretty much nothing but i thought of other questions as well.

Besides plant-wise what abuot gravel/decor. I know that salt water tanks have certian things you have to put for gravel woudl would be good for a brakish tank for Gobies?
Also, will my freshwater test kit work for brakish water?

Back
Top Bottom