Hurricane on the way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nottoday

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon African tank and it's a possibility I might be without power for a few days very soon. What's the best way to prepare for this situation?

I would be doing large daily water changes where I can, this way if the power does go out for a few days the water will be cleaner going into that situation.

I would also cut back feedings to once every couple of days and completely stop if the power does go out...again think clean water.

You could also invest in some small battery operated air pump that are used with bait buckets, this way the water can still be somewhat circulated. They make them for aquariums but since it say that word they're 5x more expensive.

If you do lose power don't panic as most fish will be fine unless the tanks are grossly overstocked or under filtered they will be good for days on end.

Last edited:
I would be doing large daily water changes where I can, this way if the power does go out for a few days the water will be cleaner going into that situation.

I would also cut back feedings to once every couple of days and completely stop if the power does go out...again think clean water.

You could also invest in some small battery operated air pump that are used with bait buckets, this way the water can still be somewhat circulated. They make them for aquariums but since it say that word they're 5x more expensive.

If you do lose power don't panic as most fish will be fine unless the tanks are grossly overstocked or under filtered they will be good for days on end.

+1 (y)
Go to your local bait an tackle shop and get some Battery operated bait pumps and a bunch of D size batteries. My tanks (75 gal, 30 gal, 3-20 gals) survived Hurricane Wilma with these pumps.
If you cannot get these pumps, you can manually stimulate the water by taking a cup and dipping it into the tank and pouring it back into the tank. The bubbles will create an exchange of gases and oxygenate the water. If you have an outside filter that overflows back into the tank, remember to pour water into that as well to keep your bacteria bed alive. If you have a sump operation, periodically take the water from your sump and pour it back into the tank. This will cause the tank water to flow through the filter keeping the bacteria bed alive.

I feel for ya and know what you're going through ;) Good luck and I hope you stay safe.

Thanks for the advice and the link ! I'm going to do a large water change the night before it hits. I'll also go by the bait store to get the things to keep bait alive.

We are prepping for the storm also. I have a second generator just for the fish room but if gas starts to be hard to come by, I will be doing the same steps mentioned above.

These hurricanes can be a very trying and stressful time, so please everyone say a little prayer for those of us who live in affected areas. Please stay safe and be smart.

We are prepping for the storm also. I have a second generator just for the fish room but if gas starts to be hard to come by, I will be doing the same steps mentioned above.

These hurricanes can be a very trying and stressful time, so please everyone say a little prayer for those of us who live in affected areas. Please stay safe and be smart.

I feel for you all. Having survived a couple of 'Canes myself, I know they can be very stressful. The feeder bands from Isaac pretty much missed me here in FL but got friends and family in other parts of Florida and it's not even a Hurricane yet. Take your weather warnings SERIOUSLY!!!! Stay safe not sorry.(y)

Well everything went fine no deaths and only lost power for a few hours.

Lol sorry I only wanted to read this out of curiosity but what about heating :S

Lost both of my cars and got about 4" in the man cave/fish room.

Compared to what I've seen on the news, it sounds like you got off lucky. NO disrespect intended. What I was told after H. Andrew, "That's what insurance is for." I hope you had it to cover your loses.
I know it's hard to think this way while going through what you're going through but "It could have been worse." At least you are able to still be here and posting. :)

Hope everything works out for you (y)

Andy Sager said:
Compared to what I've seen on the news, it sounds like you got off lucky. NO disrespect intended. What I was told after H. Andrew, "That's what insurance is for." I hope you had it to cover your loses.
I know it's hard to think this way while going through what you're going through but "It could have been worse." At least you are able to still be here and posting. :)

Hope everything works out for you (y)

Yeah.....all in all we made out better than a lot of folks. My father in law lost is home and is now staying with us. His whole community was wiped out.

Back
Top Bottom