Hybrid cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I had a cobalt blue zebra and a red zebra breed awhile ago. They had 29 fry, and they are occupying 2 of my tanks. They are big enough to sell, but i'm not sure what I should do with them because I don't want to mix up gene pools of a species or anything. I would like to get my tanks emptied soon though to get more fish. Anything would be greatly appreciated! Any advice on what to do with them?

See if anyone in your local fish club is looking for hybrid cichlids and offer to sell/trade your fish.

See if anyone in your local fish club is looking for hybrid cichlids and offer to sell/trade your fish.

Do I have to worry about mixing gene pools? I just don't want people selling them as red zebras.

That is a concern so that's why you should look for people in search of hybrids.

Mmmm...yeah i would feel terrible doing that, i just don't know what to do...i just feel like killing fish would just be going completely against the hobby...

Letting the leave the tank to breed with other cichlids is what ruins the hobby, culling them is is what prevents future generations of hybrids.

Last edited:
Letting the leave the tank to breed with other cichlids is what ruins the hobby, culling them is is what prevents future generations more hybrids.

Yup. I might just put them in a pond outside to start the cycle or something. I just wasnt sure at all what to do. And I sold the parents and they were put in separate tanks in a fish store, so they can't breed again.

Do you think pirahnas would feed on them? That would definitely get rid of them!

Do you think pirahnas would feed on them? That would definitely get rid of them!

That's what I would do. If you don't want to keep them then feed them off. Some people don't mind hybrids. I have one from fry I had years ago and he is one of my favorite. You can sell them but IMO make sure sell for what they are

That's what I would do. If you don't want to keep them then feed them off. Some people don't mind hybrids. I have one from fry I had years ago and he is one of my favorite. You can sell them but IMO make sure sell for what they are

Yeah I think i'm selling them all (28 ) to someone to feed his catfish for $5.

You don't necessarily have to kill a fish to cull it, in the generic sense it just means to remove it from the breeding population. Although traditionally the term used with livestock implies putting them down.

Whether you decide to kill or keep it after the cull is irrelevant, although letting them out into the trade is damaging to the hobby at large so many people opt for euthanization.

You don't necessarily have to kill a fish to cull it, in the generic sense it just means to remove it from the breeding population. Although traditionally the term used with livestock implies putting them down.

Whether you decide to kill or keep it after the cull is irrelevant, although letting them out into the trade is damaging to the hobby at large so many people opt for euthanization.

Yeah. Is using as a feeder ok? I think that would be fine. Its not going to other cichlids and its being eliminated, so i would think its fine.

Back
Top Bottom