I did everything wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That I don't understand then. I know 1.0 is high but this ammonia guide chart says it's safe.....with the ph and temp. What is right now? confused
I don't know which guide you're referring too and again this is ultimately your choice but I can assure you that 1 ppm of ammonia is pretty pretty high and can/will cause irreversible damage to your fish if not diluted, 0 ppm is safe, .25 ppm is the tolerance target when fish-in cycling. Again I'm not trying to chastise you or make you feel bad. I'm just trying to provide you with the proper info and methods:)

I am talking about this guide http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/your-guide-to-ammonia-toxicity-159994.html but I did a 30% wc five minutes ago. makes me feel better too :) Thank you for helping me Brookster. I truly appreciate every answer and help from you.
Good guide! Lot of words and numbers haha, tough reading it on my phone, at higher ph ammonia becomes a bit more sinister, while you and I are not in the way high end it's still in the area where amm is going to hurt fish more. I try to the best of my knowledge to help as best I can. I started up not to long ago and ended up killing a beautiful pair of electric blue rams because I had no idea what I was doing and listened to the bird brain at a pet store. Luckily I found this forumn and it has been going pretty great since! Got a new German blue ram a couple weeks ago and I'm thinking he'll like his new home!

You're doing good Turtle! Don't feel that bad, we've seen way worse. You really care about your fish, that's great! (y)

Remember that once you get your new tank you can move the media, or the whole filter, from the ten onto the new tank along with the fish, and pick it up from there. Most of the BB (beneficial bacteria) live in the filter.

IME 1 ppm ammonia is never good. I wouldn't be comfortable with it but I really don't know that much about it. I do know that ammonia has a high pH reading, around 9 or 10, so that probably has something to do with the chart.

You're doing good Turtle! Don't feel that bad, we've seen way worse. You really care about your fish, that's great! (y)

Remember that once you get your new tank you can move the media, or the whole filter, from the ten onto the new tank along with the fish, and pick it up from there. Most of the BB (beneficial bacteria) live in the filter.

IME 1 ppm ammonia is never good. I wouldn't be comfortable with it but I really don't know that much about it. I do know that ammonia has a high pH reading, around 9 or 10, so that probably has something to do with the chart.
:thanks:
Never thought I would enjoy fish so much. I'm impressed and surprised how interesting it is. It was supposed to be a new family hobby but I think, I just found a wonderful hobby for myself. At first my husband was a little sceptic about the fish idea. But now he sees me caring for them, hanging at the glass and talking to them :lol: No more doubt, my request for a big tank is approved. I proved I truly love my little water friends.:love:
I decided to listen to my feeling when doing the water testing regardless what any charts say. I am waiting now for so long that this tank is cycling that it doesn't matter anymore if it takes longer due to frequent wc. As long as I keep the fishies safe and at least I haven't lost any yet. The babies are getting bigger too. The rock pile was a great idea and they like staying close to it while exploring the bottom tank.
Thank you everybody for guiding me through everything and giving me the courage to learn and not to give up.:hugs:

I have good news: Finally Nitrites and Nitrates :dance:

The following happened: two days ago I did my as usual testing with the same frustrating readings. Ammonia but nothing else.
I filled a tube and went to the pet store for a free water check.
Turned out with:
Nitrate 30ppm
Nitrite .7ppm
Ammonia under .5ppm
so here we go :) My tank is cycling.
API test kit sucks. I will toss it out the door.
I bought a bottle of Prime conditioner....wow is that stuff ever great. Thank you for the advice.
It makes my water also crystal clear. My fish loves it :fish2:

I have good news: Finally Nitrites and Nitrates :dance: The following happened: two days ago I did my as usual testing with the same frustrating readings. Ammonia but nothing else. I filled a tube and went to the pet store for a free water check. Turned out with: Nitrate 30ppm Nitrite .7ppm Ammonia under .5ppm so here we go :) My tank is cycling. API test kit sucks. I will toss it out the door. I bought a bottle of Prime conditioner....wow is that stuff ever great. Thank you for the advice. It makes my water also crystal clear. My fish loves it :fish2:
Prime is all that is holy.. Yes! Why all the hate on API? Do you have the liquid kit? Keep those trites. Below .25, they'll make your Fisk geek out and swim funny... Yipp skittly dooooo!

Prime is all that is holy.. Yes! Why all the hate on API? Do you have the liquid kit? Keep those trites. Below .25, they'll make your Fisk geek out and swim funny... Yipp skittly dooooo!
yah I have the liquid test and the only thing that seems to work is the ph and the ammonia part. Believe me I was tapping and knocking this 2nd Nitrate bottle like crazy ....and never anything.
The prime keeps Nits and Nats now under control without interrupting the cycle right? :cool: My Ammonia is still to high always around 0.5 and need to do my daily wc. I am guessing that this is simply my to crowded tank and probably will not get better. Good that I have almost made my decision on the new tank. In the moment I can't decide between a 55 and a 75 gal tank. I love the big one but it's financially really tough with all the things I would like to have.
By the way: your tank looks awesome Brookster. Really nice :fish1:

yah I have the liquid test and the only thing that seems to work is the ph and the ammonia part. Believe me I was tapping and knocking this 2nd Nitrate bottle like crazy ....and never anything. The prime keeps Nits and Nats now under control without interrupting the cycle right? :cool: My Ammonia is still to high always around 0.5 and need to do my daily wc. I am guessing that this is simply my to crowded tank and probably will not get better. Good that I have almost made my decision on the new tank. In the moment I can't decide between a 55 and a 75 gal tank. I love the big one but it's financially really tough with all the things I would like to have. By the way: your tank looks awesome Brookster. Really nice :fish1:
Can you check the expectation date? Those kits are usually great with the exception of user error with the nitrate test;) the prime will temporarily (up to 24hrs) detoxify amm and trite. It is by no means a miracle cure or an excuse for changing water. A crowded Un cycled tank is going to need some extra living for sure, I was there too. You got this! Personally I would go 40 breeder over the 55, better foot print, allows for better stock options, also if you want to do plants it's much shorter than 55. You can rock a aqua clear 70 on the 40 and keep it very affordable! That would be my choice anyways. Hey thanks, I think you're referring to my planted 20? I'm going to change the filter on that from a aqueon quite flow to an aqua clear and also switching lights, I don't like the pink hue from the colormax bulb.

yah I have the liquid test and the only thing that seems to work is the ph and the ammonia part. Believe me I was tapping and knocking this 2nd Nitrate bottle like crazy ....and never anything.
The prime keeps Nits and Nats now under control without interrupting the cycle right? :cool: My Ammonia is still to high always around 0.5 and need to do my daily wc. I am guessing that this is simply my to crowded tank and probably will not get better. Good that I have almost made my decision on the new tank. In the moment I can't decide between a 55 and a 75 gal tank. I love the big one but it's financially really tough with all the things I would like to have.
By the way: your tank looks awesome Brookster. Really nice :fish1:

I suggest going with the 75. Even if for a while you can't add anything to it but what you already have in the 10, you won't regret it.

Can you check the expectation date? Those kits are usually great with the exception of user error with the nitrate test;) the prime will temporarily (up to 24hrs) detoxify amm and trite. It is by no means a miracle cure or an excuse for changing water. A crowded Un cycled tank is going to need some extra living for sure, I was there too. You got this! Personally I would go 40 breeder over the 55, better foot print, allows for better stock options, also if you want to do plants it's much shorter than 55. You can rock a aqua clear 70 on the 40 and keep it very affordable! That would be my choice anyways. Hey thanks, I think you're referring to my planted 20? I'm going to change the filter on that from a aqueon quite flow to an aqua clear and also switching lights, I don't like the pink hue from the colormax bulb.

I have to agree with you on the 40 gallon breeder, my favorite size now and it has more swimming space than my 55. Great for plants too.

exp date 08/18 that can't be it. May be they are just not made for Turtles :nono:
I learned something new...a breeder tank. Never heard about that before. What is the difference between those and regular 40gal? Are they wider or higher?
Why don't you like 55 or 75gal? so much room especially with the landscaping I have in mind.
yes it was a picture from your planted tank with your new aqua filter I believe :)

I have to agree with you on the 40 gallon breeder, my favorite size now and it has more swimming space than my 55. Great for plants too.
Somebody please explain to me the 40gal breeder tank. How can this have more space than a 55gal? lol I have so much to learn :)

I'm not positive but I believe the 55 is 12" wide while the 40 breeder is 18"-20 " wide, this may not seem like a big del but it provides fish with way more swimming space, there are way more options in sticking with more swim space. If you are dead set on a big tank tank than I'd throw it up between the 40 and 75, forget the 55 unless you have a veryy specific water column organized stock list.

I'm not positive but I believe the 55 is 12" wide while the 40 breeder is 18"-20 " wide, this may not seem like a big del but it provides fish with way more swimming space, there are way more options in sticking with more swim space. If you are dead set on a big tank tank than I'd throw it up between the 40 and 75, forget the 55 unless you have a veryy specific water column organized stock list.
I looked through a few online and it makes sense what you say. Many people sharing your opinion about more swimming space ...better for landscaping etc. Do u know if Big Al's has these tanks?
With the 75 gal I came to following bill and that is just the hardware:
$119 tank
$60 glass top
$200 the LED system.
:eek:
and doesn't even have the filter and heater yet....or plants ...it's out of my reach.
Or I am lucky and find the tank used somewhere for cheap. I am probably out of my mind.

Yes, I have both. The 55 is 48x12 and the 40 is 36x18. The 40 gallon has more surface area.

Ok, so I'm sure about shipping there but there are $1/gal sakes going on her in the us, pet supplies plus right now. If you choose the 75 you'll most successfully run it by a canister filter and ac 70, plus 200-250 watt heater, mmmmm 300-400$$$

Ok, so I'm sure about shipping there but there are $1/gal sakes going on her in the us, pet supplies plus right now. If you choose the 75 you'll most successfully run it by a canister filter and ac 70, plus 200-250 watt heater, mmmmm 300-400$$$
I know it's crazy expensive. But so beautiful.
Somebody made me the offer $145 with Lid and stand. mint condition. I need to think it through.:silly:

Back
Top Bottom