I.Give.Up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grape

Aquarium Advice Regular
I can not find pure ammonia ANYWHERE.

I have looked in pharmacies, Lowe's, Home Depot, every grocery store, hardware store, I can't take it anymore. I don't have an ACE, our True Value doesn't carry the Blue ribbon brand, they only have lemon. EVERYONE has lemon! I had originally bought one from Winn-Dixie that didn't list anything seemingly harmless...but there were sudsy bubbles when you shake it.

Monday will be the final straw. My husband goes to school about 45 minutes away, and there IS a Ace Hardware store there. If he doesn't find it there, I have no idea what to do. People keep telling me to use someone's filter media. Guess what? I don't know anyone with an aquarium. Are fish stores going to charge me for theirs?

I'm ready to just throw some fish in there. I just can't...but I don't know what to do. I'm at my wits end.

use crushed up food for now until your can find some, or a shrimp from the grocery store

You could just do a fish-in cycle if you want to. If you still want to do a fishless, I suggest doing it with shrimp (dead ones from the grocery store) since you can't find the right ammonia.

I agree on doing the fish-in cycle since they are really not that hard to do and it seems like more work sometimes to get a fishless one going.

However, I can tell you that I've found the blue ribbon brand ammonia at dollar tree, not sure if there are any local to you.

The Ace hardware store should have it (ace hardware brand janitorial strength 10% ammonia in the cleaning aisle) and its also available on Amazon. If your looking for cycled filter media to help speed up your cycle, consider purchasing an 'active' filter from Angelsplus. Many members have had success cycling their tanks using them. Just make sure you purchase a filter labeled 'active' (full of good bacteria) or you will just purchasing a plain, new filter. Your tank will still cycle without any seeded media- you will just need some patience! :)

Sponge Filters for aquariums

hang in there! I found mine (ammonia) at fischer's hardware. I just started calling the places instead of driving around and had them read the ingredient list to me. it worked!!

also, if you want to do a fish in cycle it is not that hard. I did 2 fish in and 1 fishless on my 3 tanks that I have going. as long as your tank isn't super big the fish in cycle is pretty easy. I just didn't want to be doing 50% PWCs on a 90 gallon tank - lots of water!!

It's a 20 Gallon, and thanks. I just didn't want to feel like an evil person for using fish..even though I do. So how many fish would it take, and what kind. OR, how much shrimp. Just throw in a couple, wait a day, and test?

I mean, if I use feeder fish, I wouldn't feel quite as bad...since..they're going to be eaten anyway. If they did die in the tank, it would still work, right? Poor things. :(

Feeder guppies, goldfish, or shrimp?

Also, this is a wonderful forum. I really appreciate all your patience, support, and advice. :)

I'd personally do the shrimp, starting with one and seeing how it goes from there. You can use a filter media bag to contain the nasty once it starts to decompose. You don't have to get to the point where you convert 4PPM of ammonia. You can use a shrimp or two and even if you convert less than that, you can cycle the tank and just stock slowly at first. You'll be using your test kit to monitor throughout the process and once you get a few water tests under your belt, it won't be intimidating anymore. At that point it is just a waiting game. If you use live fish you will likely need to do a lot of extra water changes. The shrimp is more of a set it and forget it method, but either will work. It's up to you. Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

I've heard of times where people were dead set on doing a fishless cycle but they couldn't find ammonia without surfactants, so they had the idea to urinate in the tank. This actually worked, even though most would consider it to be disgusting. Where there is a will, there is a way. How is that for some outside the box thinking?

if you go with the fish in cycle you don't have to get fish that you are going to throw away. what did you want to stock in your tank originally? then pick the hardier ones, put them in, test your water, do water changes etc and your fish should be just fine

bs6749 said:
I've heard of times where people were dead set on doing a fishless cycle but they couldn't find ammonia without surfactants, so they had the idea to urinate in the tank. This actually worked, even though most would consider it to be disgusting. Where there is a will, there is a way. How is that for some outside the box thinking?

I will admit, the thought occurred to me. Could only find ammonia with surfactants here, too. I just went with the shrimp. I found a bag of the tiny little cocktail shrimp for like $3 on sale, and just kept it in my freezer and tossed two or three in every week or so. I took them out once they got really nasty. Should have put them IN something. I would recommend sticking them into some pantyhose.

I gotta say..that made me laugh! I dunno if I'd be that dead set. I'm pretty sure I'd order it online before I'd do that.

Good news!
I got the ammonia! So happens my father-in-law happened to be going to the next town that has the Ace Hardware.

Wish me luck...in case this some how doesn't work out, I'll try some of these ideas.

I gotta say..that made me laugh! I dunno if I'd be that dead set. I'm pretty sure I'd order it online before I'd do that.

Good news!
I got the ammonia! So happens my father-in-law happened to be going to the next town that has the Ace Hardware.

Wish me luck...in case this some how doesn't work out, I'll try some of these ideas.

Hoping that you give the one I suggested a shot! LOL

Although you found your ammonia I wanted to add where I found mine. Mine was at Weis Market (its a grocery store). The bottle doesn't say much but according to what I read online if you shake it and it foams, its not the right stuff (like the stuff Walgreens carries that I now have a full bottle of and no clue how to dispose of it :/ )

The brand is: Weis Clear Ammonia

Although you found your ammonia I wanted to add where I found mine. Mine was at Weis Market (its a grocery store). The bottle doesn't say much but according to what I read online if you shake it and it foams, its not the right stuff (like the stuff Walgreens carries that I now have a full bottle of and no clue how to dispose of it :/ )

The brand is: Weis Clear Ammonia

Instead of disposing of it, use the ammonia for cleaning. It is the basis for pretty much every window cleaner and is great for removing grease.
As far as using shrimp, it does not turn to ammonia. It needs to decompose, and the bacteria that cause the decomposition create the ammonia. you have a significant delay before you have ammonia using a shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom