I Got Permission to Get Another Tank! What Do I Do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I am getting a 26 bowfront. Does that help? I would like something that can hunt but eats flake as well. I can get free fry for a treat :)

GodFan said:
Well I am getting a 26 bowfront. Does that help? I would like something that can hunt but eats flake as well. I can get free fry for a treat :)

Ropefish eat small fish but also will grab and eat chunks of bloodworms and mine eat pellets off the top of the water. They get pretty big tho. I've had mine about 6 months and they're around 7 inches long. They won't be with me forever I know. But they're do neat and we feed them neons sometimes or shrimp.

Yea I have 3 of them x.X every website says something different but it think they get around 20 inches or something like that.

If I may throw my hat in the ring...

Kuhli Loaches ROCK! I have four and they are the most active, inquisitive fish I have in the tank. They rarely hide, are all over the tank and they have the most adorable little faces!

I have the standard striped loaches btw.

3 honey gouramis 8 tetras 1BN pleco 3 Platys

MissSmish said:
If I may throw my hat in the ring...

Kuhli Loaches ROCK! I have four and they are the most active, inquisitive fish I have in the tank. They rarely hide, are all over the tank and they have the most adorable little faces!

I have the standard striped loaches btw.

I have black khuli loaches. I only have two as I havnt been able to find more but I hear the more you have the more active they are. Mine are black and come out at mostly feeding time but i also see them out early in the mornings. My kids call them "snake fish"

Lol mine are weird, I started with two and they were always out and active, I added two more and the activity level stayed the same!

I love kuhlis! But my brother already has 5 or 6 (his always hide) what about Auratus Cichlids and Demasoni Cichlids? According to petsmart they are only going to be 4.5 inches. Would a pair of those work?

Oh I just researched those and they are aggressive....
Well 2 other thoughts. A pair od some gourami or a pair of apistos? I like the idea of a stalking predator like the leaf fish but its gotta be the right size!

Hillstream loaches are river fish and need temps of about 68-72 degrees and very fast moving highly oxygenated water as they have a high oxygen demand. They are all wild caught and aren't bred in captivity as far as I know. This makes them less suitable for tropical tanks. I had one once in my tank that I kept the temp around 76 and it did alright but only lived about 6 months.
They actually do breed in captivity. Well there's so many different kinds of hillstreams but atleast sewellia lineolata does for sure. No doubt the ones you see in the average shop are wild caught, but you can get them directly from a breeder instead.

You mean this isn't going to be stocked with nano fish? :eek: lol I'd probably do a pair of dwarf cichlids or some colorful killifish, such as Gardneri's.

They actually do breed in captivity. Well there's so many different kinds of hillstreams but atleast sewellia lineolata does for sure. No doubt the ones you see in the average shop are wild caught, but you can get them directly from a breeder instead.

You mean this isn't going to be stocked with nano fish? :eek: lol I'd probably do a pair of dwarf cichlids or some colorful killifish, such as Gardneri's.
No my other tank is my nano :) I got the ember tetras btw. No I want an active predator in this one. I wanna feed him guppy fry and crickets and such.

Holy Cow I think I found THE one!
Polycentropsis abbreviata (African Leaf Fish) 3.2 inches and can swallow a fish almost as big as itself! It stalks its prey too!

I found a video of them feeding on youtube! It is really cool! Now if I can find them...... Anybody know what fish I could keep it with? I assume that the bumble bee cats should be safe.
I am going to take this one pretty slow. I plan on going all ot on making them the best tank possible. Gonna match the ph and alkalinity and such. I may start a build thread. Would anybody follow?

GodFan said:
I found a video of them feeding on youtube! It is really cool! Now if I can find them...... Anybody know what fish I could keep it with? I assume that the bumble bee cats should be safe.
I am going to take this one pretty slow. I plan on going all ot on making them the best tank possible. Gonna match the ph and alkalinity and such. I may start a build thread. Would anybody follow?

I'll follow

GodFan said:

I'll follow.

Sweet! Thanks! Should I start it now or after I buy the tank?

Back
Top Bottom