I got this 6g I want to do in salt. I am cycling with live rock and a damsel. Pet sto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Either way the watchman is to big for the tank, look into one of the smaller gobies (clown, neon, trimma) and some inverts would be a good stock plan.

I may be calling it the wrong name, I thought he said dwarf. It is full grown at 1.5"

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I will try for a better pic when the lights are on and get the real name tomorrow. Maybe pigmy rather than dwarf. Plain yellow, none of those beautiful colors on the link u shared

That's definitely a yellow watchman and they get all of 3". He is either misinformed or just a jerk for telling you it's a dwarf... Look into clown, trimma, eviota or shrimp gobies. You can save yourself a ton of headache by looking fish up before you buy them. IMO that's the #1 most underutilized tool in this hobby an would save people from buying 99% of inappropriate species for their size tanks.

Is there a way to look up a fish by the picture? After looking at your link and freaking out a little I did find pigmy gobies that are more plain yellow like the one I have. If I go by what the name on the tank is and the name is wrong, then I would find myself in this mess again. This guy has been in business for decades, not saying that means he knows all, just that he has a great reputation and was highly recommended. You all on this forum have been great on the salt and fresh water side. So please do not take this as me arguing. I want to have great tanks and happy fish and appreciate any advise from years of knowledge.

You're fine :). A closer pic would definitely help to id him.

I will get one tomorrow. I'm going to that store in the morning anyway and will get the specs on what he sold me. This could be a great wake up call to not spend my money at this place.

Just remember everyone makes mistakes and maybe the guy did. But yeah definitely figure it out. Good luck and I hope I didn't come off as a jerk or anything. :)

Not at all! I appreciate the help! And appreciate anyone looking out for the well being of the fish. Happy tanks are why we do this right?!?

Yep! You have a bigger tank you could move him to right? If worst comes to worst he can go in there :)

Yepper! 65g community so he will be staying here for sure

Yeah, I'm not really in to salt water but local fish stores are weird. When I asked my store why they had there java ferns rhizomes planted they told me it was fine and asked where I had heard otherwise and told me not to listen to the internet lol, I dout he even new what a rhizomes is. They also sell semi incompatable fish to people but I think that is mostly because they don't want to argue with customers, Angles and neons, anything with oscars... they will tell them the fish probably wont last long but still sell it to them. They have botia loches in with there african chiclids etc. It's not a bad store actually a pretty good one it's just stuff they do, there isn't and laws or anything in fish keeping so everyone makes up there own way I guess.

Also 3 stores told me that my river tank idea for hillstream loaches was pointless and a circulation fan in there was fine, finally I got one girl (at the good store above) to under stand what unidirectional flow was lol. Also non of them seem to know the sinetific latin names of any fish, I read online that if you want a certain fish (like hillstreams where there are 30-60 some species of small algae eating butterfly looking loaches) to ask for the latin name so you know what you are getting but rarely does the store or supplier even know them.

This guy has been awesome to me. I went in today to ask about the goby and either my Spanglish was bad or his was. He thought I was putting it in my 65g. He still calls it a dwarf but he NCIS'd me on the shoulder for putting it in the 6. If it wasn't for u guys, I would have made a huge mistake! Here is the best pic I could get of him bc I said I would post one. Thanks again guys!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408680462.972627.jpg

Looks like a typical yellow watchamn goby. I have never seen one more than two inches and the ones I have had always stayed in their burrows...so not a big swimmy type fish. lol

But he may get bigger, not certain what the largest is he will get to tho. lol

They do really well with a pistol shrimp, they will share a burrow with them and form a symbiotic relationship with them. Very very awesome. :)

Sounds awesome! Hard to understand that they need a 30g tank with them being so small and not that active. But I'm going to move him to the big tank, get a good back wall of live rock and flat live rock for the front and do the coral invert tank you were talking about.

I had a 4g pico for awhile and it looked great if i do say so myself. lol

I had one single green clown goby and the rest was inverts and corals. In a tank that small you can actually see the small inverts so its a great idea. I had pompom crabs, porcelain crabs adn emerald crabs. And soo many corals! lol I had to upgrade the tank cause I filled it to the brim with coral. lol

I have a 65 to catch the frags, love the thought of that. Any ideas on good midrange cost frags to get that can carry over to the reef tank? Loving the thought of all those crabs w my shrimp and finding that clown goby

You can have a nice ornamental shrimp and a very small occelaris clownfish!! On it's own OFCOURSE and that would ONLY be ok if you plan on upgrading to a larger tank in the next year or so!!! Clownfish have a slow growth rate when kept alone and will not get bigger than 1 and a half inches!!

Back
Top Bottom