i have 5 fish in a 1 gallon, too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys I have

2 platys, 2 ghost shrimp and a sucker/cleaner fish in a walmart "starter" gallon tank that I had established the other day

as a impulse buy

I also threw a real plant in there for some reason

the guy at walmart said that I have a lot of fish for the gallon....

question 1:
Is that true? I know walmart isn't the greatest place to get aquariaum advice

question 2:
Upgrading to a 5 gallon fluval chi from petsmart a good idea?

question 3:
if I upgrade to the fluval chi can I stick a moss ball in it? (they look awesome)

I know pretty much nothing about fish

I would never keep fish in less than a 2.5 gallon aquarium. I would look into a 5 gallon aquarium, aqua culture has a decent starter kit, or you could get a 2.6 gallon fluval spec 3, expensive but it is worth the money in my opinion. Your fish will be much happier with a filter and light and more space and air. 1 gallon tanks are kind of like leaving 10 pple in a elevator for their life so def look into a bigger tank.

I would never keep fish in less than a 2.5 gallon aquarium. I would look into a 5 gallon aquarium, aqua culture has a decent starter kit, or you could get a 2.6 gallon fluval spec 3, expensive but it is worth the money in my opinion. Your fish will be much happier with a filter and light and more space and air. 1 gallon tanks are kind of like leaving 10 pple in a elevator for their life so def look into a bigger tank.

NO anything under 5gs isn't a option at all!!! 5gs is the smallest size the OP should do!!

NO anything under 5gs isn't a option at all!!! 5gs is the smallest size the OP should do!!

Fluval chi would work perfectly by the way but the op could totally keep his 2 platies in a 2.5 - 5 gallon. As long as the op stays up on water changes and stuff like that,

but the OP doen't wanna have to do more than 1 water change a week so that won't work

Maybe a 8 gallon would be better then because my 8 gallon can go a month without a water change usually with Bout 6 mollies. It's a biocube with bioballs and tons of foam.

Since when is it ok to have 6 mollies in a 8 gallons doing monthly water changes? I think 6 mollies is a lot for a 20 gallon, let alone an 8. As for the original question, go buy yourself a ten and re-home the pleco. You kinda dug yourself in a hole with that impulse buy. Oh an it looks like you've got a male and a female platy. Prepare for fry, lots of fry. Gotta find homes for those too.

I have a 5 gallon and really it takes up almost the same amount of room my 10 gallon used to take up. My 5 gallon was supposed to be a betta tank but then I had to put a few other fish in there to save them from the cichlids my husband brought home to put in my big tank.

I do about 1 to 2 water changes a week usually 50% sometimes 75% change of water per week. Really depends on my water paramaters and all that fun stuff.
A 5 gallon would be the absolute smallest you can go I have a Marineland eclipse 5 gallon. With the tank and some accessories including a heater it cost a little over $80 bucks. If you get a kit they usually come with a filter and all you need to get is a heater and sand/gravel and also decorations if you want any.

As everyone else has suggested you will not be able to keep the pleco unless you upgrade to a big tank post people say no smaller than a 75g for a pleco depending on what kind it is.

Don't worry seems like everyone gets misinformation when they start out this hobby. I know I had the wrong information for years, everyone on here wants to help you out. I think a lot of us were in a position like this at one point or time.

but the OP doen't wanna have to do more than 1 water change a week so that won't work

Lol no more once a week? Um, marineland 8g pillar and add a fluval u3 and maybe...Hmm.. Prolly not. At least not without over stressing the fish and throwing balance wildly out of spec...

Here's to nano tanks and mini aquariums

Back
Top Bottom