i have babies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supafreak

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have baby black calvus!
I moved a shell into a small 5g tank when i saw that my paired up black calvus were acting strange.....she was in the tank all the time, him hanging out right outside, and chaseing away all the fish that came too close. Well three days later, i saw a wiggly little fish with an egg sack that emmerged throught a small hole in the shell. I can only wait to see how many more might be still in the shell! Mom dosn't come out of the shell yet. How long can i leave mom in the tank with them? do I move her when the sacks are no longer visible? That is if I can get her out of the shell in the first place! What do you guys do with your shellies? Mom will be going back into my 55g tanganyika tank, and the babies will begin their slow.....slow.......slow......growth in the 5g. So excited!

Congrats supafreak!! calvus are really gorgeous fish! You shouldn't need to remove the female....being cichlids, they will do a pretty good job of taking care of their young. Occasionally they'll gobble up the babies but it is, fortunately, a relatively rare occurrence.

Back
Top Bottom