I have two weeks to cycle!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t27countryboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon with two 6 inch oscars and two 5 inch plecos.I have sold my old 55 gallon that my fish are in right now.I have a brand new 55 gallon that I am setting up today.My old tank is not even cycled yet.What can I do to make my new tank fish ready in two weeks time?I will be running two brand new emperor 400's for filtration along with a 300 watt visi-therm heater.I also have plenty of airation if needed.I need to put my fish in this new tank in two weeks.

The easiest way is to take out all of the filter media from the current filter and put it, along with tank water, into the new filter. Also, keep all of your substrate and decorations.

What are the tanks current parameters?

My numbers are as follows:Ammonia[5ppm] nitite[0.2]ppm ph[7] nitrates [0] my tank was showing 0 nitrites untill today..I think that my tank is finally starting to cycle and now I have to take it apart in two weeks.

should I wait untill the two weeks are up and then just put everything in my old tank into the new tank[including gravel]and do it that way or should I put the new tank together now and get it cycled the best I can before The time is up.

That NH3 level is way too high...PWC as soon as possible.

Yes, waiting until the cycle is complete is far better than tearing it down and undergoing another one. I had the impression you had no option.

NH3 is at a toxic level and is permanently damaging your fish's gills. large water change immediately, although damage has already been done, you can at least try to minimize it.

So maybe I missed something, but this is what I understand your situation to be right now.

You have 2 Oscars and 2 Plecos in your "old" 55 gallon tank that hasn't finished cycling yet.

Now you want to set up a brand new tank and get it to cycle in 2 weeks time and then move your fish in.

Is this correct?

If so, I'm a little confused.

Why didn't you just wait two weeks to cycle with the new tank?

Why are you cycling a tank with fish? Let alone oscars?

Why would you sell your tank when you're not ready to move your fish out of it?

My suggestion is since your water parameters suck in your current tank, fill the new tank up, put some gravel and filter media from the old tank in (hopefully since you are starting to show signs of nitirites it will have a decent amount of bacteria on it), put some Bio-Spira in and move your fish asap. If nothing else you'll give them a break from the toxic ammonia levels.

If my assumptions are wrong then I'm sorry I misunderstood.

I guess that nobody has read any of my other postings.I apologize if this seems cruel to the fish but I had no idea what I was doing obviously untill I found this website!!!I went to my local petco and wanted a starter tank and they sold me a 29gallon glass aquarium and I asked What I needed to do to keep two of the oscars.I specifically asked the man to tell me what I needed to know before I put Fish in my tank and he told me that to fill up my aquarium with dechlorinated water and wait two days and then add fish.I did this not knowing that oscars could grow to enormous sizes.I went out and and borrowed a 55 gallon tank from my friend that obviously knew nothing about fishkeeping also, and took it home and put everything from my 29gallon into the 55 gallon with more dechlorinated water.I thought everything was ok now.Then going through the internet one day I found Aquarium Advice.I soon realized what I was up against.I started to learn how to cycle a tank the right way[fishless],But it was to late!!I already had the fish in the tank.SO!!!I My friend wants his tank back because he sold it to someone else without me knowing and now I have a situation on my hands.I would never hurt my fish purposely!!!I just need to get this new tank in liveable conditions as soon as possible.!!!Wouldn't my fish show signs of ammonia poisoning if that were the case..My fish look and act perfectly.They do the begging for food thing and seem to be really content.No sign of breathing rapidly or going to the top for air or sluggishness or overactiveness.No real signs of discoloration or skin problems at all.The water is always clear and looks good.I am thinking that maybe my tests are not accurate!I need to buy a better test kit and test again.I have done water changes every day for a week now and my numbers on ammonia have not changed.I do 25%PWC everydAY to keep the ammonia down and feed every other day now since I got some advice a week ago from this website.

How long have you had the fish? Can you still return them? You might be better off returning them and buying new ones when you have a cycled tank. Alternatively, if you can find another friend or an LFS with a suitable cycled oscar tank who can adopt them temporarily, that would work too.

You still have the 29gallon? maybe you could finish the cycle in it.. since its there.. using a aid for the cycle might be a good idea here.. bio-spira maybe if its available..
keep an eye on that ammonia.. if its sill too high with 25% pwc's you might have to up it to 50-75 depending.. if the nitirite gets out of hand the same theroy goes not as damaging as ammonia but still damaging none the less..

The only option I have is to put the two oscars in a ten gallon that I have cycled.I am afraid that it is way to small but do you think that they could survive in it untill my new 55 is cycled?

OK. I understand your dilemma. Here's what I would do..........

Leave the fish in the new 55g but move the filter from the 10g to it. Hopefully, there is enough nitrifying bacteria in the substrate of the 10g to handle the move. Keep your eye on the ammonia levels in both tanks, and do daily pwc. It will probably take a bit longer to cycle, but ulitmimately is the safest way.

Jchillin said:
The easiest way is to take out all of the filter media from the current filter and put it, along with tank water, into the new filter. Also, keep all of your substrate and decorations.

Hmmm...sounds familiar. Also, don't give up on your friend, tell him once again what the problem is. If his final answer is no, go with above.

Sorry if I came across the wrong way before, I was not trying to be mean or trying to say you were being cruel to your fish. It is not your fault you got bad advice. Now you are at a place where you can get good advice and all you can do now is try to make this as easy on the fish as possible. If you can take them back to the store then do it until you get the new tank completely cycled and ready. If you can't take them back, then get the new tank all set up and put some filter media, decorations and rocks from your established 10 gallon tank and move the fish in. Keep an eye on the water parameters. Do PWCs as needed. Sorry you got stuck in this situation, but hopefully your fish will make it through okay.

Back
Top Bottom