I just did the stupidest thing ever... help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It could have been worse... much worse! After I read the first few sentences of your post, I thought you had accidentally cleaned your contact lenses w/ ammonia! Now THAT would have really sucked!

Best of luck w/ your cycle! (y)

McLumpy said:
It could have been worse... much worse! After I read the first few sentences of your post, I thought you had accidentally cleaned your contact lenses w/ ammonia! Now THAT would have really sucked!

Best of luck w/ your cycle! (y)

Lol

Good luck also with your cycle, hope you can finished soon and can add fish, for sure you will be able to see your fish better in your tank !

Lol

Good luck also with your cycle, hope you can finished soon and can add fish, for sure you will be able to see your fish better in your tank !

Um, thanks? But my 2 tanks have been cycled for awhile. I think you got me confused w/ someone else. No worries... it happens. ;)

I'm sure both you and your tank are just fine. I don't even know how to do the math to figure the dilution of 40 drops to 48 gallons. I'm sure it's astronomical and nothing to worry about.
But I'm glad I cycled my tank without using ammonia. I just put fish food in a small nylon mesh bag and ten days later I had .25 Ammonia, .25 Nitrites and over 80ppm Nitrates. I did a 50% water change and it stayed,
Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 40ppm. I now have fish in it and it's held those parameters.
The only reason I did it this way to begin with was I couldn't get the non bubbling ammonia. I know every one says you can pick it up at your local hardware store. But apparently not in my little town. So I asked my not so local FS what I could do instead. He said just use fish food.
At first I put it in like I was feeding fish that weren't there. But that just made a big mess of the tank that I had to keep vacuuming out. Which only stalled the cycle process. So I put the food in a small nylon mesh bag and hung it up in the water. The food decayed in the bag releasing the ammonia but not the fuzzy decayed food. I just took out the bag rinsed it, refilled it and hung it back up. no muss, no fuss, no contact solution.
Sorry, just teasing you about the last part.
Any way it worked great and it was fast.

McLumpy said:
Um, thanks? But my 2 tanks have been cycled for awhile. I think you got me confused w/ someone else. No worries... it happens. ;)

Sorry McLumpy, no I did not confused you with somebody else, I was answering to eco23, but I quoted your comments. In other words, I mixed all wrong!

Eco23, good luck with cycle in your tank

If it's safe for something that goes in your eyes, I wouldn't worry about it in an empty aquarium. For peace of mind, you can run some activated carbon.

Back
Top Bottom