I need a solid clean up crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lost Hero

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 8 gal fluval florish. I just need a very good clean up crew, I currently have 5 brilliant rasboras and I think a male German ram. I hope you guys can help me

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Maybe a Nerite snail or two ? They will lay eggs if they are females, but the eggs cannot hatch in FW. But not everyone cares for their appearance. I don't mind them, but some do. Very good algae eaters, glass cleaners and general cleanup crew.

Mystery snails are also quite good for general clean up and don't eat live plants, unless they are very hungry. They're quite fond of algae tabs or pellets, so feeding them if needed is easy. Should they be female, you may see a clutch of eggs, but they will be above water and easy to remove if no babies are desired. Best to make sure a female mystery can't get out of the tank, they'll sometimes fall out if hunting for a spawning spot. The underside of glass covers or hoods suits them for this.

Shrimp, like Cherries or one of the colour variants [Neocaridina heteropoda] are another possibility, though the Ram is likely to eat the babies, and the rasboras may well do so too. You'd need to ensure a lot of hiding places for shrimp.. tank decor like rock or wood, and a fair load of plants too, for enough babies to survive to keep a population going.

Do these snails eat other snails

No, they don't. There are two snail eating species of snails.

Asolene spixi, which is a member of the Apple snail family, related to the Mystery snail. Not great clean up crew, but does keep pest snail populations down. Not unattractive, it has a pale beige shell with varying brown striping and doesn't get much larger than a Zebra nerite does.

The other is called an Assassin snail, Clea helena, I think is the biological name. It will kill any other snail. They're not hopeless as clean up crew, but prefer a high protein diet. So they will eat some algae and crawl on the glass, but are not as good at clean up as the two species I mentioned first. They are a bit smaller than a Zebra nerite, technically they're fresh water whelks. Quite attractive, with yellow and very dark brown/black bumblebee stripes on the shell.

Mystery snails come in some nice colours. Shells can be gold, ivory, brown or striped in any of these, bodies can be ivory, gold, blue, purple, near black and browns.

Nerites come in several species, each has a different shell pattern. Zebras are brown/gold, Tire Track is dark copper with 'tire track' marks in black, and there are a number of others. Some tiny ones are called Thorny or Horned, also come in a few patterns or colours but generally much more subdued in colour than the larger Zebra. Bodies tend to be fairly dark in colour.

How does 1 nerite snail and one spixi which a bunch of cherry sound??

Can the snails mix??

Sorry, posted here by accident, so I edited my post to say this

what exactly are you trying to clean?
I have 1 red ramshorn
1 mystery
1 horned nerite
1 zebra nerite
2 amano shrimp
4 cherry shrimp.

Cherry shrimp arent going to be much use in cleaning to be honest as they hide pretty much 99.999999999999999% of the time and with good reason.
My amano shrimp are algea beasts!
My mystery is probably the best out of the litter. The nerites are nice looking but slower than heck and honestly don't move much.
If you want algea and debre then I would say a mystery snail, amano shrimp and ghost shrimp.
Ghost are good debre cleaners, cheap and will munch on some dead plant matter and algae as well.
Mine just both died so Ill have to get a couple more eventually.

To answer about mixing Spixi and Nerite; I have one tank with a number of Spixis in it, and it also has a few Nerites and a small number of nuisance ramshorn and bladder snails. The Spixis keep those last two from increasing in numbers.. though I don't think there has ever been a day there were not a few of the nuisance snails in there. The Spixis themselves don't lay a great many egg clutches, [ underwater], so they don't grow in numbers very fast either.

The Nerites, so far as I have observed, have not been bothered much by the Spixis in this tank. I think they are harder for Spixis to catch.. they have a different arrangement with their operculum than snails like a Mystery. Spixis seem to greatly prefer snails that have no operculum, like the ramshorn and bladder snails. But Nerites are not immune from attack, and if there were no other snails available to prey on, a Spixi might succeed in taking a Nerite.

So, personally, I don't think I'd keep one of each in a small tank. Too much chance the Spixi would kill a Nerite. But shrimp actually do perform a pretty reasonable job of eating algae, but with them it's more numbers that count. Just a few cherry shrimp won't make a big difference to algae.. neither will a few Ghosts or Amanos. But a small colony would consume a fair bit of algae. Even in a small tank, you can have quite a few shrimp, a dozen cherries to begin would give you a fair colony after awhile, they nearly always breed pretty freely. Six would take a bit longer, but still, some of them will be female and have babies.

If your main concern is that you don't want any pest snails, there are ways to manage that, by dipping any new plants before you add them to the tank. That can reduce the chance of nuisance snails to near zero. If your main concern is controlling algae, there are ways to reduce that too, by controlling how much light is available and how much food.. that is, nitrates.

But for eating algae, best bet is a Mystery or Nerite.. and I'd get a couple of Nerites, as they aren't that big and they are slower than a Mystery snail is.

Snail or no snail, I'd get the cherries, they're fun to have, fairly hardy and they do breed easily most of the time so you get replacements.

I have a 8 gal fluval florish. I just need a very good clean up crew, I currently have 5 brilliant rasboras and I think a male German ram. I hope you guys can help me

An 8g is awfully small for a Ram IME
Why do you need a cleanup crew ?

Algae ?
Overfeeding ?

I control Algae by lights on timers 6-8 hours. Weekly PWCs and not overfeeding.

Nothing will eat every type of Algae.

Is the tank planted ?

I'd recommend rehoming the Ram to at least a 20Long.

I love my Nerites. The Ram will probably slaughter any small shrimp in such a tiny tank.

Sorry if I sound harsh.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom